Electrical problem

The battery on my truck wont hold a charge for some reason. I had it on the charger for like 4 hours and nothing. It went dead the other day. The voltmeter just started dropping out of the blue. I’m not sure if I have a wire that’s being grounded out because of the damage from when I hit that deer, if my alternator took a shit, or if the battery is just gone. Any thoughts? I know they can do an alternator check at a lot of places, but I don’t want to have to buy a new battery if I don’t have to. Its a Die Hard Gold, which is a good battery to my understanding, and Ive never had a battery just go dead out of the blue, but not take a charge.

Sounds like you need a new battery.

That’s what I was thinking. But wasn’t sure if it was that or the alternator, and don’t want to buy a new battery only to have it die on me right away.

Well just make sure your battery charger has a clean connection to the battery terminals and try charging it again. If after several hours it still has no charge then it’s probably safe to say that the battery is shot. Maybe the alternator is too, but that wouldn’t stop the battery from charging with a battery charger

Ok bought a new battery. Put it in. It started right up fine, but then the volts dropped 3 marks, and it kindof wavers randomly…so I dunno if its the alternator or a bad connection somewhere. So confused.

Alternator may be bad then too. If you have a multimeter you can test it, pretty basic so long as it’s not buried in the engine bay. here:

if that works fine then you probably have a wiring issue

ok just checked it. The alternator is shot. It was puting out 0 volts and when I disconected the posative cable from the battery it died immediately.

ROFL