Electrical wiring question

Im doing a gut bath remodel for my sister and right now im finishing up running wire. The house is an older house and the bathroom still has the old non grounded knob and tube wiring bringing power to the room. Im going to run a new line from the panel and just tie off the old wiring. My question is how much can one line supply? Im going to have 3 individual switches going to, over head light, vanity light, and vent fan. Also one gfci outlet. If there are any electrical experts on here any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well this is a pretty vague question. What size line are you running a 15A or a 20A (basically 14GA or 12GA wire). What is the FLA (full load amps) listed on the fan motor? What is the watt draw of the individual fixtures?

If you can answer that I can help you out. Chances are good that you will be fine with one 20A run, but if the fan is a large unit or heated, then you will have some issues. Most bath fans draw very low current anyhow.

you can run the lights and fan on one circuit, but the gfi must be on a dedicated circuit. and bathrooms must be in #12

One 15A will cover it; a 20A would be better.

I suggest a GFCI Breaker instead of a GFCI outlet though; that way the whole room is covered.

I’m slowly doing a bathroom in my house; and ran a new 20A GFCI breaker for just that room. That’s got a Washer, gas dryer, overhead light; 2 wall sconces; 2 small recessed lights; and a hand full of outlets.

If i was to use a 20a GFCI breaker then i would not need dedicated line for the outlet correct?

When you are asking this type of question, you shouldn’t be rewiring your house.

This is why buying houses that someone remodeled scares me.

I thought bathrooms had to have a GFCI breaker.

There is already a slew of bad advice in here. Get a code book, read the sections that you need and go from there. If you need help to actually do it, PM me and I will get you parts for cost, and install them for a fee if you need.

Are code books online anywhere?
I would like to know what rules I break when I rewire stuff.

I have never looked for them online. They are pretty big and cost about $75 bucks. There is a new one coming out for 2011

Any of these?
http://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=0&subcategory=All&quality=All&seeded=0&external=2&query=Electrical&uid=0&sort=

I never trust myself wiring other than simple switch and outlet replacements…That’s why I call an electrician.

<EDIT (off topic)>
tpgsr anyway to change the mouseover color on hyperlinks to like the standard blue?

is the KT wiring connected to anything else…sometimes when you just randomly cut into that stuff you end up cutting off something else you weren’t expecting to. i’d also recommend taking it as far back as you can…don’t just cut it off and coil it up in the wall…take it back to where it is spliced in and disconnect it there and retape the splice

Any outlet that has any chance of water being around it should have a GFCI. The breaker is nice, but they do get pricey and fast.

I have seen electrical done by those that are DIY’s and so called professionals, both sides have done good, both have done shit. Its a crap shoot with any used house.

I know per CODE any bathroom, kitchen, laundry room must be GFCI Breaker protected. (Ground Fault)

New Build (Remodel starting next year); all bedrooms must be AFCI Breaker protected. (Arc Fault)

Don’t forget Garages on GFCI and Hallways with adjoining bedrooms on AFCI

Garages do not have to be a breaker, but they must have at least a GFCI as the first receptacle.

I included what I KNEW was per code. Didn’t remember the exacts about the hallways; and didn’t know that for Garages.

We installed the arc fault breakers in my parents new build house, removed them a few weeks later. Electric motors, hair dryers… so many things set them off that they are just a pain in the ass.

True. But per Electricans Code… they have to put them in. And starting next year any remodeling will have to have them installed as well.

That could very well be a neutral issue. Try checking the neutral to ground with a multimeter and see if you have any voltage leaks. I have heard lots of issues that sound much the same, and their has always been a fix.

I know for a fact that there is no issues with the wiring, they are just a total pain in the ass. Technically a brush in a motor will produce an arc, that the breaker can pickup. Regardless of what code says, I as a homeowner would remove any and install a GFI breaker instead of a AFI.