energy hogs

http://www.energyhog.org/

there are 5 games you can play… brought to you by the alliance to save energy. it’s cheesy but fun. you may learn something…and you can get a certificate at the end so you feel manly and important.

then watch this:
http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002648.html
because it’s will farrell and it’s hilarious.

Is this why you won’t talk to me ehehhee

http://www.photodump.com/direct/deltaankle/hog.jpg

hippies

as i go leave th fridge door open and turn on all the lights.

meh i was learning to much and inspector irene wasn’t hot enough

Posting energy saving tips on a forum is funny when half the members have 4 cyl. engines that get about the same mpg as a small truck.

lol

automotive forum in general

Speaking of energy…

I spent almost a year with an architect designing my home.
I wanted the home to be uber energy efficient in design.
By the time we were done adding all of these things in it was so expensive that the investment had a rediculous return.
I can buy about $100,000 worth of gas/energy before I see a return.:smash2:

It is too bad really because I was all into it at first but now I am discouraged.

Edit: Maybe I would feel differently if I were a left wing, hippy type that thought I could save the planet but, I am an evil, rich, Republican so I am looking mainly at the financial aspect.:smiley:
(The rich part is not actually true)

the prices on photovoltaics have been coming down in recent years. unfortunately ill doubt we will ever see a system compete with coal burning in terms of price.

imo…people should be more concerned with the method of power generation rather than just conservation.

I started looking into a solar system for my house. The cost vs savings just couldn’t be justified, especially with our snowy winters and having to constantly clear snow from the panels.

yeah, there are not many energy-saving things you can do that are actually worth the money right now.

in one of my classes, my professor was talking about these fake web sites that blame the wrong people for environmental problems in order to keep attention off of their practices. I was thinking about it and this might be one of them. are people in their homes really the major energy hogs here? it’s true that Americans are huge energy consumers and wasters, but…

I bet industry are the biggest “hogs.”

Janny helped me become more energy efficient.

before Janny bought me a kettle with a whistle, I would leave my natural gas stove burning for hours…essentially burning up water, and wasting natural gas.

:slight_smile:

Thanks Janalan.

Tip #567: don’t leave your pots of water unattended.

Windows/doors can make a huge difference. When I bought my house 3 years ago the first winter I said I needed to replace the patio door because it was drafty. Of course it wasn’t a high priority so nothing happened. Finally this year it started leaking some water as well as air and I replaced it with an energy star sliding door with low E glass and all that crap. I can honestly feel a difference in that room so I’m sure it’s making a difference on my gas bill. $800 for the door, another couple hundred finishing it out the way I wanted (installed myself) and I doubt it will take more than a year or two to get a ROI.

Next summer I’m going to replace a few windows but that will probably be the extent of my energy upgrades unless there is a huge drop in the price of solar panels. I still like the solar idea, probably because it looks like a fun project to just play around with if it weren’t for the 10k initial investment. Maybe I’ll start “collecting” some of those roadsigns with solar panels and build my own. :snky:

When I was little I used to allow the faucet to drip while brushing my teeth.

Then I decided it was better to turn it on and off as needed.

It brought me a sense of accomplishment.

those 7 dollar pieces of plastic probably saved us ~300 dollars (or more, who knows) last winter. I think that’s one of the best cost-effective energy-saving moves.

I recieved a letter from my CPA that explains the tax credits for energy savings.
You can recieve a $2000 tax credit for a hybrid car purchased in 2005,
it would take about $20,000 for me to even think about buying one.

Qualified solar water heating equipment, electricity generating photovoltaic property, and fuel cell property put to use after 2005 in your personal residence. The credit will generally equal 30% of the item’s cost, limited to $2000 per type of item or, in the case of a fuel cell property, $500 for each .5 kilowatt of capacity.

The letter also mentions creidts for metal roofs coated with heat reduction pigments, windows, doors, insulation, heat pumps, geothermal heat pumps, central air conditioners, etc, etc.

Edit; In 2006 hybrid vehicle purchase tax credit will be $3400 but the vehicle must meet 2006 emisions standards.

I even looked into a water wheel (I have stream running through my property) but, the DC current will only run about 300 feet IIRC.(which is how Tesla convinced the people of Niagara falls to use AC)

Don’t forget to leave the shower on and open your windows too. :tup:

am i the only one that see the irony in posting Energy Saving Games on the internet?

Really?

:lol: