energy hogs

I posted it more for the cheesy games than the energy-saving message.

Ive gotta be honest, the one with the pigs in the attic freaked me out a little.

thank you for your honesty. oink.

it took me a while to bash those pigs because I don’t have a real mouse and didn’t read the directions for the carpet unrolling game either… so I lost that one twice.

:c / wasted a lot of energy playing these games…

no thanks, i’ll be over here running down cyclists with my V8 that’s running rich to go home to my poorly insulated apartment where i’ll cook a steak and eat it on allen street

ah, yes… the american dream.
:bloated:

those pigs look like something off of “Captain Planet”… is it any wonder that there are 5 planeteers and 5 games? hmmmm… perhaps the planet is all about fives?

That word qualified is where the government really sticks it to ya. I bet the only “qualified” systems are made by companies that have all sorts of ties to energy lobbys. It pretty much means to me that you can not shop around and find a decent deal on a system or build your own if you want a tax credit.

It’s really unfortunate. I have a professor at school that is big on the environment and has really changed the way I think. He had us take a tour of a school in Newfane that is heated and cooled using a Geothermal system. Really cool stuff. The guy who convinced the school board to install the system is really enthusiastic about it and loved talking about how the system works. The biggest issue with the Geothermal system is the electrical energy required to run the heat exchange pumps is massive. This is where I plan on using photovoltaic cells to help make up the difference. Someday I want to employ these technologies in my home.

Regarding hybrids, I think there is a lot of positive ideas comming from them, but we are missing the obvious. Diesel technology is far more researched, understood, and proven. With a little bit of development put towards Biodiesel, many of our energy issues could be resolved. The advantages of biodiesel are less dependency on petroleum, and much cleaner emissions. Essentially you are not burning a fossil fuel, therefore its combustion results in fewer greenhouse gasses. Also, the governemnt subsidizes farmers not to grow anything to help prevent over production of produce. If we put those farmers back to work, we can easily produce enough plants (soy, corn, algae, hemp, ect…) to start a movement of getting away from petroleum based diesel fuels. In fact, the inventor of the diesel engine; Rudolph Diesel, ran his prototype diesel engine at the 1898 Paris Fair on peanut oil. The intention of the diesel engine was to provide farmers with a machine that could be run on fuel that they grew on their own. Somewhere in the 20th century the Petroleum companies took hold of the the market and made us basically forget that diesel engines could be run on anything not petroleum based.

I don’t have anything against hybrids. I drove an Insight at work and I kinda liked it. I just really like the Biodiesel idea right now.

Oh and AWDrifter, don’t worry. Your old Audi isn’t in the hands of a hippie. I don’t like Jam bands, Never have done drugs, and don’t own anything tiedye. :wink: I just enjoy getting close to 30MPG and having the ability to do what most people think only their SUV can do :slight_smile:

it’s true. one of his favorite passtimes while he lived here was to boil water for so long that the water would evaporate, and he’d just burn the shit outta the pan. walkers little game was a funny one. i’m not going to repeat it, i cant remember it correctly.

btw that pot is still here, and nobody uses it. if you want it back, you know where you can get it…

I wasn’t aware anything went on in Newfane, besides that Somerset death trap.

JJ,
You scared me for a second there.:biglaugh:
J/K, I don’t mind hippies but, they do smell.
If they think they are going to save the planet by driving hybrids that’s fine.
I agree with you on the fuel issue, let’s use the millions of cars, trucks, tractors, generators, etc we have and change the fuel.
It makes much more sense when you think of the millions of diesel vehicles already in use right now.

The other thing about geothermal is the startup costs involved.
I don’t know of many environmentally sound systems that are not stupid expensive to implement.

i remember something about DC current electrocuting goats in the demonstrations as well.

I remember Edison electrocuting rabbits being mentioned.