Modding for mileage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/ap_on_hi_te/hybrid_tinkerers;_ylt=AvknIMKX3hMtXQNnS8STL9R34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Dayum O_o

i saw this on slashdot earlier tongiht…

:tup:

YOU NERD!!!

so did I :stuck_out_tongue:

And of course at the same time, the gov’t, gas companies, and car manufacturers all say something like that is still 10 years off :roll:

Damn nerds, as did I. :rofl:

Though it moves the pollution else where, so not too helpful at all. Just thought it was really nifty. Plus those batteries are going to kill the enviroment later on, which is why I’d never consider the purchase of a car with at most a 7 year shelf life. Damn shame really, think I’ll just stick with the tercelica for now.

EDIT: Kinda interesting link as to the fate of the EV1, http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/gm.html

cars like that are 10yrs. away right now because there is no reason to build them right now. Gas is still cheap enough to not be a problem and the car would cost to much because its not in a huge demand. If all the oil was used up today within a month or 2 the latest you would see electric cars coming out from all companies. Its all supply and demand. If there is no demand there will be no supply. If the demand is huge a supply will be created fast.

if we ran out of oil the last thing I’d worry about is cars… we’ll be in an energy crisis and that’s in our future.

no we really wouldnt be. The US has more coal then any other country in the world. I forgot the exact figures but we have enough coal to last us a very long time. Plus you have to figure all the hyrdo electric, wind, solar, and nuclear power plants. The world would not crash when we run out of useable oil.

Might not have an energy crisis, but you’ll have a fuel and supply crisis. And if we were to sub in coal for alot of our power provided by oil and CNG, we’ll all be dead of lung cancer after 20 years.

One problem would be finding fuel for transportation. Not individuals and their autos, but the shipping and trucking industry. And air travel would be ground to a halt.

And the bigger problem, would be you’d have no source of oil for synthetic materials that require oil in their creation. IE no plastics, nylons, polyesters, fiberglass, etc. Everything would have to revert back to metallic or wood construction.

hybrid cars outfitted with a diesel engine are getting over 70-80mpg without extra batteries or charging…

Add in the use of biodiesel, and these vehicles sound like a great alternative to fossil fuel.

exactly… its almost entirely renewable with less than 1% pollution.

Only I say, lets go 100% biodiesel with a mix in cold climates… I don’t like the idea of batteries. too costly and too much of an enviromental risk.

“Monrovia-based Energy CS has converted two Priuses to get up to 230 mpg by using powerful lithium ion batteries”

wow, i would only need to fill up 3 times a year.

edit:
lol, filling up your tank would be part of your regular 3/4 month maintenance. like an oil change.

i would love to see that in a new car maintenance log.

Lately, I’ve been thinking how nice it would be to be able to tune the Nissan for a bit better fuel economy and run happily on 87 octane instead of 93. I don’t think I’d miss the 4 or 5 HP I’d be giving up, not on a daily driver, anyway. I bet the 2.5 Altima’s air/fuel/timing maps would do the trick…

Psssh, bike gets 40-50 mpg, and my speedo doesn’t stop at 75mph :gotme:

The extra batteries let Gremban drive for 20 miles with a 50-50 mix of gas and electricity. Even after the car runs out of power from the batteries and switches to the standard hybrid mode, it gets the typical Prius fuel efficiency of around 45 mpg. As long as Gremban doesn’t drive too far in a day, he says, he gets 80 mpg.

IMO, if you only get 80mpg for the first 20 miles, that isn’t terribly impressive just yet.

ive had the diesel doing 130 and still pullin :slight_smile:

do you have snow tires for it? not to practical for the winters that we have

I have studs for it. But in all honesty, I ride the bike right up until the very first snowfall, which on average is about 8 months out of the year. Sometimes in between the snow months as long as the windchill isn’t -30 or something rediculous, and the pavement is ice/snow free.

So it’s a lot more practical than you think.

yeah thats great actually. wouldnt work for me though, couldnt throw 2 kids back there lol

C’mon, Bungie cord tie down my man! Kids would LOVE IT!

Daddy Daddy go FASTER!!. :stuck_out_tongue: