enter engineers/craftsman/homeowners

since my dad is finally redoing the roof this coming spring/summer (1st time, house is only 18 years old), i had a little idea from something a read about a long time ago and wondered if anyone else tried this. for all i know maybe its already on lots of houses

cutting out one section of the roof and placing a solar powered fan to keep the heat down in the winter and keep the ac down in the summer. idk how many fans i would need or the size of the fans. the power board for the solar energy ive never done either but im pretty handy so i think if i worked hard at it i could make it work

i kinda think i should try it out on our shed first (my dads iffy about the house but doesnt care about the shed that much)

worst comes to worst, the fan breaks and im back where i started from, i guess it would make sense to make a built in frame, and a bolted on unit (fan and power board) this doesnt include materials to protect the board or fan, moisture content possibly fucking up electrical stuff and what not

i think for a couple of bucks (less than 100$ per unit) it would be a good investment that would pay itself off quickly.

any thoughts?

HUH? Usually isn’t the floor/ceiling below the roof insulated, I don’t understand how that would help at all.

I think your efforts would be better spent installing a ridge vent since the house probably doesn’t have one if it’s 18 years old. Plus if he ever wants to sell the house customary upgrades add value but goofy ass shit subtracts value.

And this scares me.

Ever noticed how a roof is ventilated? You want to keep it ventilated in the summer

Ever noticed how attics are ventilated? You want to keep them cool in the summer so that you don’t have a convection oven on top of the house, and cold in the winter so that house warmth doesn’t melt the snow, turning it into ice and damaging your shit.

lol i guess i dont know the exact terms for things, but ya cant learn without trying

edit: it wouldnt look goofy!

Yep. Good luck either way.

yes! even tho ur a fool n posted it twice :roflpicard:

:stuck_out_tongue:

you need to have the house be able to breathe.

my 4th grade analogy: If your are wearing a helmet with a visor, and you’re breathing heavy, the air from your breath vs the temp of the visor will combine to fog up the visor because of the difference in temperatures. thus leading to a some kind of death/fail

when you leave the visor slightly cracked this does not happen, (ventilation). or if u have one of them sick nasty helmets with side vents it works too lol

“to keep the heat down in the winter and keep the ac down in the summer.”

Umm, what?

Rather than treat the symptom, treat the problem - insulate.
Like Fry said though keep the attic cool in winter and summer.
If bugs and critters weren’t an issue the ultimate attic would be wide ass open.

to keep the heat in the house during the winter (not letting it escape) and the same for the AC to keep the house cool, not triggering the thermostat as often

so there isnt wasted energy =)

i would assume, to save on energy bills. which would be the only point of putting one of these things on your house.

idk, maybe im just drawing conclusions based off common sense

edit:

ok. so maybe my common sense just isnt enough sense

I guess I don’t understand how a fan is going to keep heat in your house.

Edit: you also want soffit vents so the air flows from soffit to ridge/peak as to not trap air.

well im still doing research and checking out diff options =) ill post up sum stuff soon

http://www.dulley.com/docs/f987.htm

well i guess you can buy one! fuck my life FML! http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/HVAC/Solar-Powered-Attic-Fan

edit: day late and a buck short =(, but itd still be fun to make one on my own

WAT