Roof install.. in the middle of winter?

The roof on the house I’m in (rental, I’m in college) has been leaking for about a year, inconveniently onto my bed, and always when I’m sleeping (yes I’m sure it’s the roof lol). It leaks a ton around the skylight window right above my bed and the kitchen (was an addition on the house built probably 50 years ago, house is from late 1800s) leaks some too.

My landlord had been planning on a new roof install end of summer but was deciding between shingle and steel roofing…

my roommates and I just got an e-mail from the landlord last week saying it’s getting done at the end of this month.

somehow, at least to me, this doesn’t seem like the best time to do a new roof. I honestly didn’t think a roofing company would do an install mid winter.

it’s friggin treacherous on the roof…
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2094451928_dca86f9815.jpg
that’s from last week, the icicles are longer now

I figure someone on here might know… do any roofing companies really do roofs in the winter in Rochester? They have to do a full tear down of the roof, probably replace some stuff, replace my skylight windows (rest of the windows on the house got replaced in september but mine had to be custom ordered), etc.

god I hope they get paid a crapton of money to do that job in the winter, it’s gotta suck

I dont do residential but our contractors will install commercial flat roofs this time of year and I know for a fact some of the guys do side jobs on dry days. Temperature doesnt matter as much as dry.

The only thing you have to look out for is since its not a hot time of year the asphalt shingles dont stick together so sometimes in high wind days you lose a couple. It should be no trouble for a competent contractor.

Better them than you…

yea its not a big deal. they do roofs in the winter

thats gotta suck to do at this time of year, we just had our garage done in nov.

Its really not that bad…even on the coldest days you get a good sweat going and feel pretty comfortable if you are working at a good pace. Its the wind burn that really blows.

i guess if you do it for a living and know what your doing it wouldnt be to bad

I am willing to bet they would rather work this time of year then when its 130 on a roof top in the summer.

I figured the temps wouldn’t suck that much for the workers but for the process… like the fact that there is a crapton of ice and snow on the roof. I guess since they’ll just be ripping it all off it doesn’t matter much. Also probably sucks for application of new roofing material (still don’t know if it’s going to be steel or shingle, landlord didn’t mention in the latest e-mail.

I’ll still be pleasantly surprised if it actually happens. I had to move my bed so that I can just put a bucket under where it leaks :stuck_out_tongue:

the garage got a brand new roof and gutters in the spring for no good reason (no leaks or anything) yet the house is missing gutters in some places (ice rips them down says landlord) and has a leaking roof.

though I admire prioritizing garage over house, it’s not like the garage is even heated or insulated :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn’t imagine trying to nail down shingles in sub 40-30 degree weather. Or even work with them. Crack!

I know it can be done… But…

Edit (thinking more)_ How can they bond in such cold weather? (tar strips)

Years ago I worked for a nursery, and they built a cookie cutter development behind it. The tar on the shingles didn’t seal properly because of the cold temps. Every time the wind would kick up their yards would be littered with shingles. That went on for a while until they fixed the problems after many attempts. The people who bought the houses were not too pleased.

… and you still live there WHY?

have fun w/ that. tell them they might want to INSULATE the damned thing a bit this time too, that ice is because you’re losing a ton of heat out of the roof. yeck.

I was thinking the exact same thing. from the size of the ice hanging from your roof if that is from this year. Insulation is more of a consern than the leaking roof. I am guessing from the leaky skylight that your place has cathedral ceilings which are one of the most difficult attic areas to insulate properly. I dont know how old your roof is. but im guessing from the info given the lack of circulation in the attic is causing the leaks.

Yes you can put a roof on inwinter. no ashpalt shingles wont bond as good and wind blow offs can be a concern. I would suggest a steel roof in the case. because they are great to stop ice from damming up. and they dont use heat to bond to the roof. they are all screwed down…

my consern for a steel roof from that picture is the avalance like snow slides that can occur with a steel roof right over your driveway like the picture shows.

My neighbor has a steel roof on the 3 story house and the two HUGE snowfalls we had last winter, october and Superbowl sunday last year… the over2’ of snow came crashing down off of the roof a few days after each storm. luckily his cars are parked enough away from his house that nothing and noone was crushed.

Welcome to old houses in the area. You act like you’re surprised.

we did my parents roof in the winter… doesn’t matter much as long as its not raining/snowing

Like others said, it’s the insulation is what I’d be worried about (your heating dollars will still go out the roof with a new one on it).

Other than that, it’s a rental, who cares? Also FWIW roofs done in warm weather seal MUCH better, it’s not wrong to do it now, but certainly is better for that first winter.

X…

when the guy across the street had his roof done in teh winter they thew these big heating pads over it to make it seal together good… they were big orange rubber blanket looking things that were 8X8… the contracter said they use it to heat up the shingels to make them come off better and then heat the new roof to make it seal better… seems like a good idea… they had 2 or 3 of them up there

Sure, but that doesn’t compare to the energy the sun puts on that tar in July.

X…

There are rooms up there… specifically right where all that is is is my bedroom, the warmest room in the house. There are cathedral ceilings up here, but not in my room… I just have one angled wall that comes down to about 2ft above the floor, which is awesome because there are skylights there so there’s lots of natural light on my bed.

werd. Seriously though even with that, our electric/gas bill here is much less (by about 100 dollars a month, I have all the statistics from RG&E) than when we were living in Erie Station Village (very new place… and it was an apartment, not an end apartment, not on the top floor, etc).

also we haven’t been in a lease since July so yeah we are free to move anywhere, but finding a decent 3 bedroom is hard (especially since many housing sites don’t allow me to search for ‘garage with 3 bedrooms’ lol), and this house is still fun/nice despite some shortcomings. Couldn’t ask for a better neighborhood either. With one roommate graduating in the spring and myself graduating at the end of the summer quarter, we’re not too keen on signing a new lease :slight_smile:

as long as its dry, id rather do one in the cold than the hot summer, being on a roof for 5 hours in 90 degree weather doing physical work blows