Entry level road bike?

Bicycle that is not a sweet squid machine

Suggestions?

I don’t need to spend some insane amount :tspry:

Word I’ve been looking for the same.

$1500 Ridley Icarus. Sram Apex group, and a frame worth hanging new parts off when they wear out. Buying a $2k low end trek with 105 parts will still look like a lower end trek or specialized with Dura-Ace when the 105 wears out.

People will say you need a $1,000 bike. I am looking to ride this year around town maybe 10-20 miles at a time. People told me to get sized at a proper shop and go from there. There is a bunch of Trek bikes that are barley used from people who think they are going to be a Tour De France rider and give them up you can get for $600 less. Just keep an eye out for ones that have a carbon fiber front fork which will last longer and absorb a lot more if the shock when riding and one with a rear carbon fiber fork if you can find it.

I’d like to hear some experienced opinions of the bikes on www.bikesdirect.com

I have actually been look at more of the hybrid bikes since I was going to try and use it get it around when its nice out and all of Buffalo is pot holes.

If you’ll recall my 160 dollar (shipped) single speed (not fixed gear) road bike purchase from sears, I have put about 100 miles on it and am largely happy.

In all the riding I have done I have never once wanted to change gears for any reason. Seems like unnecessary complexity to me.

I can’t tell because the rims are black are the tires large enough to handle shitty buffalo roads?

Depends on whether or not you’re a pussy. I rode from parkside to south buffalo the other day via elmwood, from bidwell to williamsville via amherst st & kensington, and from parkside to NT via colvin and military without ever thinking “this sucks”.

However the tires are not very big. Standard (schrader) roadbike tires.

i have a road bike with super skinny tires and ride all over (fast) on the worst streets in buffalo, you will be fine

Can you ride wheelies on road bikes?

I have been thinking of getting cyclocross tires for my MTB so I can commute better.
But, I’m figuring it will look ridiculous :frowning:

x2 for sure.

I just asked a guy I work with who does 100 mile rides and travels for races. He said he wasn’t impressed and go to a local shop and get fitted for one. Again, he is a elite rider with multiple expensive ($5,000+) bikes so it may be like asking someone who has driven a lambo all their life what they think of the new civic but he suggested going to a local shop and looking for used ones that are a little better.

Have you been to bikesdirect.com?

I have a 54cm full carbon Trek 5500 road bike I’ll be posting up soon. Its an awesome bike for a serious rider that is not looking to pay new bike prices.

Sounds like you are looking for more of a city/hybrid bike though.

get a bike with the best components you can for the price range you’re looking for.

the carbon/al diff will be pretty minimal.

if you want to save, buy a good bike on CL for cheap, don’t buy a cheap new bike.

In for the info. I need one for my off running days, probably a hybrid/city has Jager stated. Something to just cruise around ~$200-300

Any updates on your decision? Probably looking to buy something next weekend.

Been looking around that site. A few serious rider friends say the site is a little BS with how they compare to big name models. One I was looking for about $300 at the site compared it a Specialized one for $1000. My friend said you can get the Specialized one at a store for about $600 so I am not sure.

I am a new rider so I figure I may start with that site at the $300-400 mark.

So what are you going to be doing with the bike? I think that makes a difference between road/hybrid.

I was looking for a bike last year for commuting since I live in GI and work 5 miles away in Tonawanda. I ended up with a Schwinn Tourist, spent a hundred bucks on tires,tubes,pedals and dropped some cash on a pump and other tools, and it’s perfect for me. I’ve done some 40-50 mile rides and I’ve never had an issue as long as the bike is properly maintained (most importantly air pressure for shitty buffalo roads)
I probably spent about 450 bucks total and I would do so again.

I was recently at Dick’s in the Galleria and was checking out their Diamondback Podium road bikes, basically cheap racing bikes for around $600. I really enjoyed riding one and I’d love to get one as my next upgrade if I keep biking as much as I’ve been, so that I’d have my Schwinn for commuting and dealing with shitty roads, and the Diamondback for long cruises in good conditions.

A lot of people would say that it’s useless getting a cheap bike, it’ll break, you’ll have to upgrade everything, etc. I’d agree that if you get a high end bike to start with it won’t need much, but if what you need is a $300 bike and what you can afford is a $300 bike then go buy a new $300 bike or get a well taken-care-of $600 bike. YMMV but in the end the average rider doesn’t need a carbon fiber frame and racing gears. Start low and go from there if you find you can dedicate yourself to it.

Just my 2c

J