ErnGotti's 08 EvoX

so does ern

ern , ya do realize that ya cant get a proper tune with a slipping clutch right ?

lol but I bought one almost 2 months ago

Yeah i was allllll tight. Its still doing it, just less.

I dont think its the clutch, bro. Did a bunch of troubleshooting and talking with some transmission guys and mechanics and I dont think its the clutch. I think the engine is too responsive.

The best test I did, as well as my mechanic did it too after I tried, was put it in fifth gear at like 25 mph (about 1400rpms) and just matted it. the initial “slip” happened then it grabbed, like always, and stayed grabbed lol if it was a slipper clutch it would most likely release under that much load.

there should be no slip dude

Its not slip. its LIKE slip. clutch seems to be doing its job and always staying engaged. I believe (from what i can put together between numerous guys looking at the car as well as what I’ve read about other X owners) the increased flow capabilities of the turbo with the intake/exh/uicp combo, plus a trump rich tune, PLUS a possible boost leak I cant yet detect (insert tdi’s special tool assistance here) all contribute to the “slip.” The boost leak makes most sense but a tune should fix the issue, I’m confident

slipping is when the rpms increase faster than the speed of the vehicle.

that can only happen if the clutch is slipping, this isn’t fucking rocket science.

Wrong sir. The rps remain the same, not climb. If anything, they drop a couple hundred. Stop by tomorrow at four and ill show you at napa

Is everyone ignoring the fact that I keep putting “slip” in quotation marks?

Any visible drops or leaks under the car? Could possible be:

• engine rear main seal leaking
  • tranny input shaft seal leaking

Those are a couple of known issues on the X. Other than that I’d say your clutch is starting to go.

if there is any initial slip feeling, hesitation etc. when you first hit it in a higher load gear, your clutch it slipping.

you can sit there in denial all you want and make yourself believe there is nothing wrong with your clutch, but at the end of the day it doesn’t fix it.

mine started out with just a “slip” as well. Now it doesnt move.

I’m not wrong.

I’m not saying that I know for sure it’s your clutch, I’m just saying that if you look at the tach when you mat it and the engine speed isn’t exactly correlated to wheel speed then the clutch is slipping. If anything I was defending you, I just hate the fact that you’re calling it slipping because nothing is slipping, it’s just hesitation.

only real way to see if the clutch is slipping a little bit, is to get something that can log wheel speed, not you MPH gauge… a DYNO, and measure RPM & roller speed… accurately together. Do the math for the rollout on the tires and the transmission and f&r ring/pinion (calculating physical mph).

If a 28.5" tire on a x.xx:1 ring and pinion, with a x.xx gear selection at xxxx RPM ads up to 100mph… and the rollers are only spinning around (with full tire/roller traction) at 80mph… your shits slippin.

rest of this shit is seat of the pants waste of time.

how many miles did YOU put on it? how many did the previous owner, and do you know FOR SURE how they drove them? Do you have any fluid leaks that could hit the clutch/pressure plate?

This thing sucks … /thread

WTF is with all of this scientific bullshit to find out if a god damn clutch is slipping?

I drive the king of slipping clutch mobiles, you want to know how to find out if your clutch works or not? Get the RPMs into the spot where your torque peaks, and brake boost it. You’ll know right away.

KTHXBAI.

Leo = correct. Keep slipping the clutch for a while, run it for a few months after it kicks completely and watch it explode. It’s fun, I promise. Clutches do fun stuff when they explode.

Thats a better way to put it, so thank you sir.

I bought the car with 9,456 miles. Right now it has 25,236 miles. So 15k give or take. I did just find out that one month after purchasing the car, Solom (the original owner) blew the transmission (not sure if it was his fault or not). He bought it in september and in october a Mitsu dealer in Jersey rebuilt 2nd gear and replaced a number of other things. Not sure if the clutch is included with that or not. I need to call that dealer to find out.

I really dont know if its leaking. I have a gravel driveway and the parking lot at work is gravel. I’ll throw a cardboard sheet under the car.

I also disconnected the battery in hopes of resetting the computer. Because, ultimately, this “hesitation” ONLY started after the vacuum leak happened.

Here’s a link to a thread on EvoM where a guy was having a similar issue as you.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/520230-clutch-slipping-after-6-000-miles-never-launched-2.html

^are you the evo X fairy godmother?

I’ll never tell.

Ernie…all these guys that have no idea what you even mean when you say it’s “sliping”…all know for sure that your clutch is toast. So go change your clutch tonight before the next 65 pages are about a slipping clutch that’s not slipping.