European/International Phones?

My brother is going overseas for an un dertermined amount of time, starting in Amsterdam. He is just getting a one way ticket, no real plan. I want to make sure we stay in contact though. I called verizon and they wanted an extra 35 bucks a month on top of the standard data package for his bb. plus its $.50 to send a text and $.05 to receive one.

anyone know of any companies that maybe do a pre-paid international plan? or any info really would be great

thanks.

maybe try to get a unlocked prepay tmobile/at&t phone? have him buy a prepay sim card when hes there

unlocked gsm phone with prepay sim card. otherwise, you gotta pay to play to keep your same number…

My brother has the BB storm, is that easily unlockable?

i know u can get codes off ebay

I sometimes forget that google>nyspeed for certain things.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how-get-storm-unlock-code-101858/ gives a phone number to verizon where you call and they give you a code.

i hear verizon wont give a unlock codes for the storm. but good luck trying

Is really using a Verizon phone over seas cheaper than a GSM phone unlocked on a new plan?

Last night verizon called me asking if they can talk to him (he is on my plan) and the guy sounded like he was going to be able to unlock it for him. that link I posted has many people claiming success. He will just have to buy a prepaid sim card and switch the phone over to GSM. I guess there are user changeable settings in the phone once its unlocked.

I’ve been looking in to this as well. There are several options as I see it.

1. Unlocked Phone + Prepaid Sim - Usually these end up in low outgoing rates and free incoming calls. The problem is you don’t get your current number.
  2. Current Phone + Int’l Roaming - Get to use your phone number, but will likely be paying $1+ per minute.
  3. Skype / VOIP / SIP via WiFi - Low cost, need to be in a WiFi hotspot.

dot

Depends where you go too. Some countries in the east VoIP is illegal so make sure you look into it before you leave.

1. Find a hotel that is pager-friendly and has a payphone bank.

I’m not gettin a sig on my beeper.

could always rent an international phone…comes with european chargers etc.

http://www.roadpost.com/international_cell_phones.aspx

Hahahahha

Why rent a shitty used phone when I have a perfectly capable non shitty unlocked phone already?