mobile nerds... which pre-paid service?

I’m getting another cell phone, but I refuse to sign another contract as somehow I/they always end up fucking myself in the end.

anyone even have a prepaid service? How it works? Text messaging/internet useable with said service?

I used to have pre-paid waaaaay back in like 98. It was very expensive at the time (like 30.00 or 40.00 for 30 mins) but I’m sure prices are closer to a contract type of service these days.

also, can you only use pre-paid phones for it? or can you use pretty much any kind of phone?

i’d say hit up wal-mart and look at their selection/services

good idea :tup:

I was looking around online and found some really good deals but their from “no name” companies (for our area atleast), so I’m not sure if the reception and coverage would be all that great

my friend’s little sister got a deal from walmart… they have like free nights and weekends and all that on the pre-paid. plus you can ask questions in store.

lol, have fun asking questions at walmart.

i deal with soooooooooooooooo many problems from there with people’s accounts its not even funny.

pre pay is not the way to go for texting/internet usage. its highway robbery. as you prolly already know man i know my ish when it comes to vzw and i garuntee a correctly set up contract. anyone that has ever dealt with me has no issues on that end, and if you ever do randomly have something go wrong, let me know and i deal with it so you dont have to find time to.

you have a PM man :slight_smile: :tup:

go through virgin mobile dude, i had them for a bit and loved it. you can do a minute by minute plan, or month by month sort of thing…and i think they have free nights/weekends as well

you can get cricket without a contract i’m pretty sure.

thanks for the heads up man :tup: took a look at their site and seems like the way to go for me. How was the coverage area? I couldn’t find a map or anything on their site.

you got an old phone from them that you arent using (that you want to sell)?

Justin, thanks man… I’ll check that out aswell. I’m sick of being bound by a contract

if you don’t want a contract, and you really only use the phone local go with cricket.
it like 54 bucks a month Unlimited everything.

I currently use Cinguler, but I get a UPS discount (for working at UPS) and I also have my Father, Mother, Little brother and my Grandfather all on the same plan. My bill is a little over 50 a month for my phone after we brake down each bill, (not bad for 800 Min rollover, 1000 text, internet (I’m not sure how much but never gone over)).

i had virgin mobile a year ago… i had service everywhere, never had problems get signal

yeah VM goes through the sprint towers in this area so its always been good, there were some blank spots I would hit when traveling between here and Arcade, but do did my buddy on cingular…

virgin is sprints prepaid. sprint has their own reputation, i wont really get into that, but they lost 200k retail customers in Q3 (i forget Q4) with most of their activations actually coming from boost mobile (nextel prepaid) if i remember correctly

i am still looking for a spot i dont get signal with my vzw nokia 6256i. i havnt been to strykersville yet with it but i can carry a signal all the way through warsaw on 20A, ive been to centerville with it, holland up on vermont hill rd, dunkirk/fredonia (out in the hills) with it, havnt found a tops or walmart yet that i get no signal in…

the reason im with vzw is more than just a job. and i havnt recieved a PM yet if you are wondering.

edit: i should add, if you are only in buffalo/amherst/surrounding area, you really have the choice to go with whatever you want, service will be about the same except for inside buildings. however if you are signing a contract i would consider more than just price.

edit edit: springville, colden, machias, ellicotville, gowanda, north collins, hamburg, boston, west falls, all the way down 240 to springville past KB…too add some more areas i had trouble with my sprint phone but i can talk fine with my vzw phone.

VZW prepaid, or just do one year contract.

I beleive virgin mobile uses the sprint network, fyi.

Cricket is a pretty good deal, unlimited local calls for 30 a month. Depends what your usage is.

The sprint sero plan is 30 bucks a month for 500 peak minutes (2 year contract), with all the bells and whistles.

Just depends what your usage is. I need free internet and all that bullshit, so i go with the sprint, but just local basic phone, ghetto cricket is a good deal.