Evo vs. 16g Talon

Well on my way home from work last night on the xxxx, I was driving casually with a co-worker when I see a car merge. It a 95-96 Talon tsi, red in color a little rough looking, with a homemade looking exhaust that came out at an angle and was cocked to the sky haha. Well anywho, i get next to this kid and encourage a run because i have always had a love for dsms and I wanted to see how this thing moved.

Well the kid wanted to run, holding up 3 fingers for me to give him 3 beeps. So I gave him 3 beeps, we both took off. I must have spooled a bit faster on him because i took a nasty jump on him but not for long haha. After about 2 seconds he screamed past me, that thing was loud as fuck might I add. After that we gave eachother thumbs up. I rolled down my window, asked him what was done, he said typical 16g setup on race gas.

He seemed like a good guy, good run whoever you may be!

16g talon>16g evo. nuff said.

Yeah…

i like the exhaust with that angle its like the aftermarket ones on sti’s pointing upwards, its HawT

Not true. A 16g evo will eat a 16g talon. Depending on the other mods of the talon of course. I know plenty of people with a E16G and can’t beat Evo’s and its not because of the driver. 16g is just a bigger turbine wheel than the 14b but its in the same housing so its not that big of an upgrade. A DSM has 90hp or so to be even with the evo and isn’t done by just adding the 16g.

Obviously it can be done though. I know of a guy that put down 499 on a 16g so they can be pushed pretty far.

Nothing like pushing a turbo out of it’s efficiency range…

Someone has to break barriers. Just like STM is doing with stock motors. Pushing a crankwalked queen into the ten’s. The fact that they won’t last a lot of runs is what sucks. But whats the fun if you don’t test the waters to see what the real limits are.

No I’m just saying for all it took to get that car to make 499 whp was probably race gas and a high boost tune on a built motor.

For all that work they could have went 30r and surpassed that type of power more efficiently, but I understand where you’re coming from

Yeah it is a very built car. I like to see small turbos taken to the max, stock blocks, stock trans, etc. It’s neat to see all of the power that they can put to some of the stock parts. No its not efficient or reliable at all but the fact that it can be done is the beautiful thing about it.

I’ve done that a couple times already. And let me tell you, it isn’t much fun!!

That’s why you get a backup :wink: I’m going to be using my stock trans for a bit before I call up Jack’s. But its not going to hurt me to have my car off the road as it was for the last month already. I’m probably only going to put down around 280whp anyhow. Time to get a FMIC first because I know my SMIC is gonna heat soak :slight_smile:

holy shit we ran him the other night around the same area too lol i was in my buddy swapped hatch and he raped us lol that car was fast

That red talon is my buddy John. He works at Innovative. They just tuned the car friday and he bitched out on going to the nyi maximal performance event. His car has issues but still moves out. The best way to figure out if it was him is by asking if he looked like skeltor… skinny tall motherfucker dark hair?

Oh I did get a backup this summer and its a good thing I did, because its in the car as I type this. I’m going with a TRE stage eleventy billion next year. I’m sick of blowing up trannys.

I figured it was John too. I had a brain fart and couldn’t think of his name earlier.

I would say an apples to apples dsm-evo comparsion of mods that dsms are faster with the 16g’s(evo 9 turbo is a 20g). Evo’s wiegh a little more and aren’t as good at straight line with being setup strictly for it. The evo316g is the same thing as the evo816g except for the direction of operation/design of wheels. Curt Brown made 550 whp on the evo316g in his 1g.

dsm ftw

Do you have a video or link to his dyno or him at the track? I saw where he put down 499. I’ll agree that with the same setup a DSM would eat a evo. HP is nothing but bench racing, its the track that really matters.

Thanks, I thought I remembered hearing his name at the shootout this year but didn’t here about his record for the 16g till after the shootout. Gnarly

Good work John. We all make fun of his car because he does such nice work at our shop and then slaps crap together on his, plus the body is rough, but it is quick. :slight_smile: He wouldn’t even use stainless when he made the exhaust quickly. He says he’ll just make it over again some day and do it right. I doubt that day will come soon.

The exhaust is like that on his car and some STi’s, because it’s the straightest shot. A single 45 bend replaces 2 90’s.

Oh yea…and Curt Brown is my hero.