F1 racer takes one to the dome

Massa in qualifying takes a spring to the helmet :ohnoes:

i love the description

“lol spring”

Did it knock him out? What a pussy, save the damn car!!

Youtube comments said he’s in a coma and has a fractured skull.

From Autosport, there are pictures of his face/helmet and it is pretty gross

Massa undergoes successful surgery
By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Saturday, July 25th 2009, 17:40 GMT
Felipe Massa has successfully undergone surgery for the injuries he suffered in his accident in qualifying in Hungary.
Ferrari said the driver will now remain under observation in the intensive care unit at the AEK hospital in Budapest, where the Brazilian was taken after being hit by a spring during Q2.
Massa had suffered a damaged skull and brain concussion, as well as a cut on his forehead.
The Italian team said a further update on his condition will be issued tomorrow morning.
Brawn confirmed the spring belonged to a damper from Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn car, weighing around 800 grams.
“We had a problem at the back, so we are still investigating and we haven’t had the piece back from the FIA yet so once we get it back we can understand what occurred and then draw some conclusions,” said team boss Ross Brawn.
"It is the first time we’ve had a problem with the car. The car has been really reliable and we are obviously looking all through the data to understand what caused the problem. It is hard to comment at the moment until we have studied everything.
“We put a new component on Jenson’s car in qualifying just to be safe, but we are still studying everything that went on to understand what happened.”
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77288

Wheres the pics?

between this video and the video of the guy getting killed by a tire, maybe they will smarten up and put a halo and a roof on these cars with some windshield bars, like every other form of motorsports.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2009/07/25/PH2009072502341.jpg

Have some respect dude.

Video is gone.

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=15003

Yeah, I’d be surprised if there weren’t any changes being seriously discussed right now. Especially since these two incidents occured so close together.

I guess he is in a “life threatening state after surgery to the skull and brain.”

It’s sad/gross seeing that pic of him posted above because his brain probably doesn’t know WTF is going on. He looks so lost.:meh:

I hope he recovers.

That picture makes my stomach turn. :frowning:

Let me hit you in the head with an aluminum baseball bat and see how well you function…come on man thats just stupid to say.

Well here is a less grim outlook;

wow thats gnarley

Wow, that’s absolutely horrible. Everything I’ve ever seen about Massa has basically been like “he’s a good guy who just loves to race”. Not to mention a hell of a driver.

Both of these were freak accidents, so ignorant comments from people like Just Karter don’t surprise me.

holy shit :meh: