Falcon Heavy / SpaceX Launch

I believe the service requirements actually need to be met 3 years from now.
Good to know the FCC is so smart that they will give the money to some other 4rd rate competitor with an even lower chance of meeting the goal in 3 YEARS.

Good thing the FCC is not some government organization that might want to persecute an individual for political reasons. /pinkfont

1 Like

I was just on a cruise with StarLink, and let me tell you Iā€™ve cruised several times and for the first time ever I had usable internet. It was fantastic.

I already have both. My Starlink (ADK) is faster than my Spectrum (City). I pay $80 for Spectrum, $90 for Starlink. Starlink has never lost connection in heavy rain or snow. Donā€™t ask me how. I know it shouldnā€™t be comparable on paper but it really is that good. Even the Starlink router has fantastic range.

Iā€™m really just waiting for T-Mobile mmWave to come to Buffalo :cowboy_hat_face:

Cell towers in space!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1742396904619581642?t=LteC0UFvHu2j6AyaQzM7ig&s=19

More info:

Once activated, the service will connect with ordinary, unmodified phones without the need for extra equipment so long as they are 4G LTE-compatible, a standard T-Mobile said covered the ā€œvast majority of smartphonesā€ already on its network back in 2022.

Starlink said it plans to roll out a text messaging service using the technology later this year and broader voice, data and IoTā€”the network of connected devices called the internet of thingsā€”services in 2025.

I just want gigabit fiber from green light. Spectrum latency is fucking horrible. Iā€™m still a nerd gamer and best I get is 30-50 ping. Yes Iā€™m hardwired with my own equipment, qos enabled etc etc.

2 Likes

Nerd flex

Gigabit fios fiber to the house FTW. $74/month.

1 Like

I miss Verizon fiber. Spectrum sucks, but beats any of the alternatives.
Iā€™m pretty sure the development 1.5 miles from me gets verizon :frowning:

It also hurts that I keep getting adds for 500 Meg, Verizon @ $25/month with the monthly rape I get for 4 cell phones.

ā€œusuallyā€ can stream 4k? How much does 4k need! Iā€™m lucky if I get 75 of the 300 I pay for.

Spectrum has Cheektowagaā€™s balls in a juicer.

No fiber here unfortunately and this is what $104.95 gets you for just spectrum internet.

And for shits and giggles, this is Verizon 5G+ on my 14 pro max in downtown Chicago.

For those that didnā€™t watch it live. Awesome stuff.

1 Like

I pay 80 for 400mpbs. Update from my Jan 4th post. They sent me their modem/router for $5 a month and now I get more than the 300 I pay for. I guess my Surfboard just sucked.

Meanwhile Boeing DEI 1, I mean Starliner, is still stuck in space with no known return date. If I were those astronauts Iā€™d be tweeting Elon every hour begging him to send a ship to come get me. No way Iā€™d trust ā€œThe spaceship that DEI builtā€ to get me home with all the problems itā€™s having.

yea id feel the same way

Get your own router, donā€™t use the spectrum one. Get like a Netgear nighthawk. Also go into a spectrum store and bitch about the monthly cost. I did and went from 99$ for 1gb internet to 55$

Updating this because in my remote area EVERYONE has changed to Starlink, so much so that itā€™s now considered a ā€œhigh usageā€ area and theyā€™ve raised the price to $120.

Dudes have Starlink dishes sitting on piles of rock inches from the road just to get a view of the sky.

FYI, if anyone wants Starlink, they just started a referral program. So I can give you my link and weā€™ll both get a month free.

1 Like

Looks like Elon might get to be the hero for those Boeing Starliner pilots that have been stuck at the IIS for 2 months while Boeing keeps saying Starliner and is fine and NASA is like, ā€œWe donā€™t really think it isā€ā€¦

What goes up must come down, unless itā€™s a Boeing (BA) Starliner. The spacecraft has faced helium leaks (for propulsion) and thruster issues (for deorbiting) since flying to the International Space Station in June, stranding astronauts Butch Wilmore and Sunita Williams in the far reaches of the thermosphere. The mission to the ISS was supposed to only last eight days, but two months have already passed, and thereā€™s now talk of the situation lasting until early 2025.

Snapshot: There have been disagreements about the data and potential risks tied to Starliner amid investigations that are still ongoing. While Boeing has vouched for the craft, NASA leadership is still debating whether the vehicle can be deemed safe to return to Earth. The agency is now weighing a plan to bring back the astronauts via Boeing rival SpaceX, which has delivered food and supplies to the station, including extra clothes for Wilmore and Williams.

The coming weeks will be critical as a decision will have to be made whether to include two empty seats on the next SpaceX mission - whose launch has been pushed to September and has a return date of Feb. 2025. ā€œIf NASA decides to change the mission, we will take the actions necessary to configure Starliner for an uncrewed return,ā€ Boeing responded in a statement. However, it would be the latest in a series of reputation problems for the company (MAX jet crashes, door plug blowout and guilty plea) that will need to be resolved by new CEO Kelly Ortberg, who starts in his role today.

Out of this world: NASAā€™s Commercial Crew Program was structured as a multi-tiered competition to get private sector companies to produce the most cost-effective, innovative and safe way to get to the International Space Station. While SpaceX has already sent nine manned missions to the ISS with its Crew Dragon capsule, Boeing has so far incurred $1.4B in accounting losses for its program, as well as many issues and delays during flight testing and manufacturing. If Boeing faces more trouble certifying the Starliner, it would deal a big blow to the ambitions of the aerospace giant, whose resume goes back to the Apollo moon missions.

Thatā€™s going to look great for Boeing if NASA decides they have so little faith in Starliner that they force Boeing to configure it for autonomous return and send the astronauts home on Elonā€™s rocket. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would assume both companies are still getting paid.
Govt. space contracts are never cost effective.

We supply both so fuck it hahah keep the money coming.

1 Like