Fencing Company's

Looking for some recommendations on fencing company’s and any advice on gotcha’s when dealing with Amherst.

We are looking at doing a wood stockade fence

Not sure on companies.

I’m fencing in my yard myself currently. I can recommend Lowes for materials though… I got a 15% discount on everything I ordered to do my fence. Saved me about $600.

As for Gotcha’s; get a copy of your survey and mark it up with what you want to fence and give it to the town, you shouldn’t need a permit (I didn’t in Cheektowaga) but there was some requirements/limitations that I had conform too in regards to setback from the road. Also call the “before you dig” hotline and get your yard marked. I had to adjust my fence and dig about 1/2 dozen post holes by hand because of a sewer and storm drain.

It’s not hard work if you have a post-hole digger, it just takes time. 3 of us set 54 posts this last weekend, we have 8 more to set then I can start hanging fence. Although… we did have a Kubota tractor with a post hole attachment.

^What he said.

My in-laws did a ton of research and just driving around looking at local fences they liked. They picked Davidson Fence. I ended up going with them as well and they did a great job at the best price by far. www.davidsonfence.net

I’m doing one this weekend. Lowes had the 6x8 wood panels for 18.99. I had the 10 percent coupon on top of that.

Ended up paying about 600 dollars in materials to fence the whole yard.

I’m renting a two man auger, 60 dollars from Home Depot per day.

How many posts you gotta dig? How much fencing?

Have fun if you have anywhere’s near a yard like mine… rocks, concrete, tree roots, and clay.

How deep did you sink your posts?

Mine are anywheres from 24-36+" deep. Depends on the poles and how the ground was where the hole was dug. Some were literially impossible to go any deaper without using explosives or a jack-hammer; neither of which I have/had. Some holes I was standing on the legs of the 3-pt hitch jumping on it as we were slamming the auger into the ground to dig through some of the crap we ran into.

My fence should be done tonight or tomorrow night; all 500+ feet of it. From breaking ground to complete with 2-3 guys working on it was about 5 full days of work (3 of which were in rain/mist rain/etc). This doesn’t include any of the yard prep, layout, or post-installation landscaping. That’s digging the holes, setting the poles in concrete, and hanging the fence. 62 Posts, 21 of which are 4x4s that needed to be set exactly. The rest were chain-link posts which are a TON easier to set. Used just over 6000# of concrete.

Davidson Ended up being our highest quote.

Chose Amherst Fence, put a deposit down today, getting a dog earred Red Pine stockade fence. Going to be about 4 weeks though boo :frowning:

Thanks for the update on Davidson. I’ll keep that in mind when recommending them in the future.

Some brat neighbor kids ripped off 3 of my vinyl fence caps the other day and Davidson gave me some new ones free of charge.

when using a 2 man auger… make sure you use 2 men… and not you and your wife…

ask me how i know…

Me and my father rented a one man auger from Home Depot and that fucker had some serious nut to it. We both held on to that thing and it still beat the shit out of us. I can still recall when it would get stuck, spin the motor instead of the auger, and slam into my thighs. And we are not normal sized humans here, my dad is little at 6’2" 220 and I’m 6’6" 210. I can only imagine the strength of a 2 man auger.

We did a fence at my house by ourselves and I have to say it came out tits.

I don’t think tere is a strength differance on a one or two man one… Just the number of handles…

Dont know where youre at with this but i’ll tell you who not to go with…imperial fence. My cedar fence is less than 2 years old and i’ve had three posts break. Not whats to be expected from a $8000 fence.

If you can get to 36" you should be good. I think the building codes around here specify 48" for a footer depth. The idea is to get deep enough that water doesn’t freeze under the post and heave it upwards.

That’s giving me a red x. Here’s the direct link:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/projects/105185d1214189315-frost-line-depth-wny-frostline_map.jpg

So the direct link sucks ass too. It’s a map of frost lines in the US.

As well as getting as deep as possible you want to make sure the bottom of the post hole is wider than the top; that way the concrete acts like a plug and the ground helps hold it down.

After quite a while and lot of communication issues with Amherst Fence the job is finally done, work quality really is fantastic very clean and very precise quality work. Overall I would recommend them to someone else in-spite of the communication issues we had.

Pictures…

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/4831764897_3051b8cdf6_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4861467498_73da201151_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4861467340_6a660055bd_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4861467278_742d7dd011_z.jpg

Very nice house and fence choice.