Firefox 4 Beta

Anyone trying it out?

Pretty cool IMO. The only issue I have is that they moved the right click menu items for New Tab and New Window.

havent used it yet, gonna have to download it when i get home.

is it faster? is it buggy? are you using it on a pc or mac?

Running it on Windows 7 right now.

Really fast and clean looking IMO. Loads faster and the web content seems to be rendered faster too. Haven’t seen any bugs but if you rely on a lot of addons and plugins, you may want to wait since they probably wont work.

Not sure if greasemonkey works for FF4 yet? Last I had it installed it did not.

Had some issues with specific web apps so I bailed on it, but other than that it wasn’t bad.

So ‘open in new tab’ is on top?

That’s how it is with Chrome and I always forget when I go use ff.

Ya right clicking on a link has Open New Tab on top and now top one and not the second one like in FF3 so it screwes me up. Thats the only problem tho. Was never a chrome fan so not sure how its compared to the speed.

I only like chrome because I found a ‘chrome portable’ program that runs from my jump drive like at school where I can’t install programs. That way I can have my favorites/favorite bar, etc all ready to go where ever I am. That portable version is slow sometimes but I haven found it more valuable to have all my ‘stuff’ over a fast browser.

plus its neat to be able to sign in using my gmail account when installing a new instance of the software without a 3rd party service.

Would the Firefox sync be better now? I can sync bookmarks and everything between computers.

In that sense I am sure its the same, but I am on a different computer daily so the portable version trumps all. I don’t wan’t to worry about leaving a browser logged in with my login info saved but with chrome portable its all saved to my jump drive so I don’t worry. I would probably switch back to FF if there was a portable version as FF is kosher with the services that RIT uses, chrome isn’t supported yet and sometimes has issues. I was on FF for years and just got frustrated never having my bookmarks and login info saved once I started using the schools computers instead of my own on a regular basis.

edit: can you google search right from the address bar? what about highlighting a word on a page then right-clicking “search google for _____”?

edit edit: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable I’m dl’ing now and will try it tomorrow.

Theres a firefox portable also…Even the Beta version.

Yes to both. Google search is still there and right click to search is there too.

I’d like to find the ff 4 beta portable.

I found FF 3 portable per the link above but it leaves a few things to be desired; ‘new tab’ on top of the right click being one. I also like how chrome has the ‘menu’ bar (file, edit, etc) as a button/drop down all the way at the end of the address bar. While I don’t use those often, its necessary to have them available. Keeping them on top takes up window space. Along with having the tabs be at the very very top of the window, it was kind of annoying at first, but even more so now that it’s not there.

Plus the chrome UI just looks cleaner.

all this may be a moot point once I try the beta version though.

this is muchmuchmuch better than ff3. I’ll let the cache build up and after a few days I will use ff and chrome at the same time to test speed. I think ff might be faster.

I feel like this will be a cat and mouse thing. FF4 will be faster. Then the new Chrome will come out and be faster than FF4 and then FF will update and be faster again. etc…

Nobody mentioned IE9? IE9 seems pretty fast but I think Chrome might still have the edge even over FF 3... I use firefox all day at work an at home with a bunch of add ons. Greasemonkey wasn’t available for FF4 when I installed it so I removed the beta and haven’t tried it since.

ff4 portable crashed twice on me today for no apparent reason.

You broke the internets. All of them. But don’t forget that FF4 is still in beta…

I’ve had it running for a while and have liked it thus far but I don’t see myself switching back completely from Chrome just yet. Probably the biggest dealbreaker for me is that when I type ‘n,’ I want it to automatically assume I’m going to NYSpeed, the site I frequent most when I type ‘n.’ In Firefox, it’s the top item in the dropdown but I like being able to press a character and then enter.