first attempts at slow motion / fast action?

Not sure what this technique is called… but we setup a camera rig on the car to get this shot. Setup a 15 second shutter speed and pushed the car to give it that “fast” look. Lemme know what you think!

I HOPE THE WHEELS ARE POINTED THE RIGHT WAY THIS TIME!! hehehehe

http://www.cnyconcepts.com/stuff/photos/new/DSC_0640small.jpg

Looks cool. I’ve been wanting to build a rig for a while. Happen to have the pic before editing and/or of the rig?

Did you take a picture of the car without the rig first from the same angle? Helps with the editing a lot.

If you pushed the car there really wasn’t a need for a driver visible in the pic.

Edit out the registration/inspection stickers.

Also day shots generally come out better and richer since there are more colors involved in the blurry back ground.

Also try a few MPH roll under engine power but slower shutter speed.

Otherwise, you’re going in the right direction :thumb !

Some of the best shots come with even a longer rig allowing you to get a whole lot more into the picture, some painters booms work well.

Did you take a picture of the car without the rig first from the same angle? Helps with the editing a lot.

The way this particular rig was setup, was that the camera was mounted upside-down… so we didn’t take the exact shot with the car still… that would be VERY useful now that you mention it though!

If you pushed the car there really wasn’t a need for a driver visible in the pic.

We kept the driver in there for some realism

Edit out the registration/inspection stickers.

easy enough!

Also day shots generally come out better and richer since there are more colors involved in the blurry back ground.

That’s the next step… my friend just got the rig finished, so we wanted to do some test shots.

Also try a few MPH roll under engine power but slower shutter speed.

We pushed the car with the car off… gave us a lot less shaking on the boom.

Otherwise, you’re going in the right direction :thumb !

Some of the best shots come with even a longer rig allowing you to get a whole lot more into the picture, some painters booms work well.

Thanks a lot for the input!! Got a lot more stuff to try out!!

I’d try a shorter shutter (if possible). With a 15sec shutter any little bump will blur the picture. I see that your aperture was at F22, yikes! Let some more light in there and shorten that shutter. You’ll still get the motion blur you are looking for but less opportunity for camera shake.

A good link for ideas.

I thought I had a link in favorites where it was 140 page forum discussion on rigs :banghead

Bada bing, bada boom.

You’ve got some reading to do.

You’re welcome :thumb

I think that last link was actually where my friend got the equipment list and ideas together for the rig he built. I may have to try and get my own going though… It’s nice to have whatever you need whenever you need it.

Thanks for those links!! The first one is awesome!!! Nice to see some different angles to figure out how to get! hahaha

No prob.

As you notice most of them are in the day time/well lit scenes. With the background being pretty constant (whether it be trees, desert, clear blue sky) makes for a great effect. Especially a clear blue sky, since that can’t be blurry even if everything else is. Works great with the car.

Also notice how big of a role distance plays.

Up close

Is eh.

Distant

is :wow

More up-close VS far.

Close

Far

Close

Far

Also notice how most of them don’t have distracting window stickers.

Looking forward to more!

I’ll be more than happy to help you build a rig, whether through the forum or in person if we can match the time.

Suction cups are generally preferred because of a much greater variety of positions and angles, editing will be required either way.

Edit: Also if you want the car moving faster and you use engine power, but the engine vibration gets in the way, just set the camera to self timer, get the car rolling and then shut the engine off.

I have always wanted to build a rig but never got around to doing so

Sick!! :tongue

I want shots like that of my car

Any more attempts Kromwell?

From my experience with my rig, I have found that sometimes a longer pole makes for more shake and bounce, causing some softness in the photo. I usually have about 12 feet of tubing from car to camera. Next time I do this I am going to try only a couple sections of tubing which may allow for some extra wheel detail being that the camera is closer.

I use a 3 stop ND filter (Heliopan) and at f/22 in the daylight it seems adequate. Making sure the rig is mounted firmly to a good spot on the car helps too.

Here are a few of my shots with it:

awesome!

jim

is

a

legend