First-Time Home Owner Tax Credit Question...Weird one

Well after debating this and trying to ask alot of people no one really knows…does anyone have the number to the federal first time homeowner customer service line? lol

Well here it goes
Ok in March of 2007 [03/28/2007] to be exact

1. I cosigned for my dad so he could purchased the current house i am in
    Does this disqualify me for the tax credit?

in Feb of 2009 [02/19/2009]
I basically refinance the house and took him off the deed/mortgage so i am the primary and only owner of this property.
2. Can i qualify for this tax credit?

Do you automatically get disqualified if you cosigned for a loan. Technically i own the house in 2007 but i did live there. whats the verdict?

Don’t you already own like 20 houses Dave? lol

Owning any, even partial, interest in a house previously disqualifies you. I went through that also and I spoke to the IRS directly. Also buying out a property that you previously held an interest in does not count, it has to be the whole thing.

Fuckin a lol

Word, I was in a similar situation. Inheriting 1/3 of my grandparents old house in 2007 disqualified me and buying out the other 2/3 would not make me eligible.

Why do they got to do that to us!!!

They cover all their bases. You could always trade up for the $6500.00. That seems reasonable. :wink:

Or you could be me, and get fucked by getting an interest free loan for the money that you have to pay back over time or when you move out of the house.

I’ll be paying mine back in full next year when I move this year.

I’m in the same boat… I’d love to move out of NY, but my house hasn’t appreciated enough for us to do that- and probably won’t for a few years

how does that $6500 credit work anyway…i have only lived there for 3 years…so that also disqualify me lol…wtf. give us cosigner/ 2.5 to 4.999 year home owner a break!

I thought there were only credits for first time home buyers, or if you have lived in your house for over 5 yrs, and decide to buy another.

Co-signers do not hold ownership interest in a property, but are liable for repaying the obligation and must sign all documents with the exception of the security instruments. The co-signer’s income, assets, liabilities, and credit history are considered in determining creditworthiness for the mortgage and the co-signer must complete and sign the loan application.

that what FHA say lol

So you co-signed but were never on the deed until this year?

You got ass fucked, sorry

I checked i was on the deed so no way around that one lol.

You can say that hahaah