Fixing a damaged oil pan

I’ve NEVER felt comfortable with those valves and I recommened against them to everyone. The pan is one of the lower parts of your car (obviously) then you add an extension piece of pipe off that with a valve to drain your oil, definitely seems like a weak point to me for a rock to come up and take out. I’ve personally had pans dented from rocks before, and I can DEFINITELY see a rock taking one of those off right at the weak point right in front of the pan.

JB Weld works really well and I think for this purpose it’s perfect.

I used it when I couldn’t get the drain plug out the rear end in my Mustang. I put a hole in the differential cover and JB Welded a nut with a set screw in it and now that is my drain plug. I did a little testing on the JB Weld to see if it was going to hold and it was very strong.

[quote=“MPD47,post:21,topic:28113"”]

I’ve NEVER felt comfortable with those valves and I recommened against them to everyone. The pan is one of the lower parts of your car (obviously) then you add an extension piece of pipe off that with a valve to drain your oil, definitely seems like a weak point to me for a rock to come up and take out. I’ve personally had pans dented from rocks before, and I can DEFINITELY see a rock taking one of those off right at the weak point right in front of the pan.

[/quote]

I dunno they are pretty well made, I agree definately safer to run a regular ol drain plug. The audi has a belly pan anyway which I have just left off lately if I was worried about it.