Help tapping an oil pan

Long story short I have a stock oil pan that I need to tap for an oil return line from my turbo. It is an aluminum pan that I would rather tap than weld but I am unsure what type of fitting to look for and where to go for that type of fitting. The last time I did it I had a shop weld the pan but the guy did it in the wrong place. I am thinking it would be a 5/8th barb fitting with threads on the other end. I would imagine that it could be a copper fitting but am unsure please help if you have good information. And no I am not going to just buy an oil pan that is tapped because of the layout of my stystem I need it to be in a specific spot.

Throw away your aluminum pan, buy stock pan, have bung welded in.

nothing better than a nice bung

Is it off the car?

Just drill and tap it.

A few places around here to get the bung like Shako but you cab always stop in Ace Hardware and similar to get a barb fitting and then get a high temp blue hose after.

This!

Thanks, this is the type of comment that does no good, this pan is stock!

I figured the barb fitting being tapped would be best, is teflon ok?

My Miata oilpan is also aluminum.

You shouldn’t need Teflon if you tape it with a tap that’s made for pipe fittings.

I have no leaks with mine in tests but it hasn’t been on the road yet.

Some use JB weld around the Barb fitting.

Why not just drill a hole and have someone weld a -an fitting to the pan? Or use a -an fitting and use a nut on the other side of it if you didnt want to weld it . My pan is like that …

Congrats you have the first and only stock aluminum d series oil pan

:rofl

You will have a leak. Mark my words.

Teflon should always be used with NPT style fittings.

Bring me the pan. I will tig in the fitting where ever the hell you put a X with a sharpie. AN, Hose barb, what ever you want. I will have it done in 15 minutes.

NPT threads need sealant. They are tapered so as you thread it in it tightens, like a cork kinda. AN DO NOT NEED sealant, the precisely machined male and female seats make the seal, the threads only hold the seats in place.

and there is nothing wrong with an aluminum pan over steel, welding wise. Aluminum can and will soak up oil and contaminants like a sponge if its porous, which make welding somewhat tricky, but not impossible to do right.

here is a valve cover i just added a bung to… same shit oil + aluminum. Just need to do proper prep and it looks like money:

Also just drill and tap isnt a good idea, most oil pans are what 3/16" thick if that? your going to get like 2 threads in that if you just sing a hole in it and send a tap through. Nahhhgunna work bud. Gotta be welded.

why do you have to be a child? if you dont have anything valid to say keep your comments to yourself, I was just saying that it is a stock d16 aluminum pan.

So did you buy that stock steel oil pan yet?

Welcome to shift! lol.

He might be right. It could be an aftermarket one, but since it came on the car you bought one might assume its stock, when its not.

either way. Where exactly do you plan on tapping a hole in the pan?

there is no such thing as a stock d series aluminum oil pan

:rofl thats what i was getting at but guess im just a child

Don’t be so immature, we need more mature discussions ITT!

Tap dat pan. You guys better stop bung’n him.

Well unless the Y8 or y7 came cast aluminum… Just get a steel pan for $10… I’m sure someone on here has something to sell you