For anyone who does powdercoating.

I had a couple questions thought I’d ask. I’m planning on airbrushing my valve cover but I wanted to get it powdercoated black first then a clear powder coat after all the airbrushing is done.

Would you do anything like this and how much would it cost and would powdercoating clear ruin my airbrush work?
Andrew

why would you powder coat it first?

Brightside does power coating! He is really good from the work I have seen from him. Ask him about some pricing.

Back ground…

because i dont plan on airbrushing the entire valve cover so it would look kinda retarded half airbrush half stripped aluminum. brightside hasnt gotten back to me and its been like two weeks.

I’ve never tried it so I can’t say for sure what would happen but the first thing I’d ask would be, is the paint you’d be using high heat ? and could it withstand the 10-15 minutes @ 400 degrees in the oven ?

Next would be chemical make up etc, if it has any silicone in it then no.

Only other suggestion would be to have the cover Powder Coated, do your Air Brushing and then Clear Coat it yourself either with the Air Brush or with some other DIY Spray Clear application.

check with Mike at Brightside…he does amazing work!

It’s definatly a high heat paint and the only reason I want a powdercoated clear is because it can be put on thicker

I didn’t even know there were different based high heat paints would you be willing to do the black Jedi?

Sure, as long as you don’t mind coming to Kitchener. I can offer a Satin Black, Semi Gloss Black, Semi Gloss Texture Black or Mercedes Black.

I have a house in Cambridge so not really an issue lol what’s your costs/ turn around

Valve cover has already been bead blasted. And I’m gonna go for something close to flat black

I work at a fabrication shop, we also do a lil powder coating not to sure on prices though. I do know that you probably wouldn’t be able to powder coat, then airbrush, then powder coat clear. 1# because they paint from air brushing wouldn’t take the heat and 2# least in my shop, if the customer wants a clear, it’s in the actually paint. There’s 3 types of finishes. Flat, semi gloss and gloss. hope that helps.

I’ve never done this but i would be willing to give it a try, how about I mail you a sample panel, you airbrush a quick design and i give it a try? If it turns out good, I’ll give you a deal on the cover for trying out the experiment for me?

My first thought for this is cure longer at lower temp and avoid taking it up to full cure temp.

that sounds like a plan where you located it might be easier to come pick it up if your close.

actually just mail it to me. ill pm you an address