Ford continuing to show why its the "last man standing"

Ford continuing to show why it’s the “last man standing”

Cliffs: We heard you like to get MPGs while getting your MPGs, so we’re focusing on our Focus’es’s - INSTEAD of making SUVs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/gwmInnovationAndDesign/idUS424756415920090506

Ford Motor Co. will spend $550 million retooling a former SUV plant to build electric and next-generation versions of its compact Ford Focus.

The company’s new Ford Focus will roll off the line of Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant next year, while the battery-electric version of the Focus will debut in 2011. It will be the first all-electric vehicle for Ford.

Formerly known as Ford’s Michigan Truck Plant, the facility, which once produced the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, was considered one of the industry’s most profitable during the SUV heydey. Operations from Ford’s Wayne Assembly Plant will be consolidated as part of the move. Former Michigan Truck Plant “We’re changing from a company focused mainly on trucks and SUVs to a company with a balanced product lineup that includes even more high-quality, fuel-efficient small cars, hybrids and all-electric vehicles,” Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas, said in a statement Wednesday. Final Ford Expedition rolls off line at Michigan Truck Plant in November 2008

It is one of three former truck plants being transformed in coming years and will employ 3,200 workers when production of the Ford Focus line begins next year.

Other former truck and SUV plants under conversion include Ford’s Cuautitlan Assembly in Mexico, which will produce the Fiesta subcompact beginning in 2010, and its Louisville, Ky., facility, which will build other models that are part of Ford’s global Focus platform.

Ford is partnering with Magna International to develop the battery-electric Focus and will work with Smith Electric to market a battery-electric commercial vehicle in North America next year. Ford also plans to release a next-generation hybrid vehicle and plug-in hybrid, both in 2012.

Ford received more than $160 million in tax credits and credits from the state of Michigan, Wayne County and the city of Wayne for the expansion project.

I bought some Ford stock back in October, it’s up over 200% :slight_smile:

I bought some GM stock too…and it isn’t :frowning: But it’s not down over 200%, I’m out 49% on that one.

Go Ford. The wife and I will be heading down to our dealership this weekend to pick out our new edge.

Yay… its nice to see one US manufacturer knows how to adapt a business model properly.

I still look at them as the smartest retard though.

fastest runner in the special olympics?

but really, good for them. gm had spread itself too thin over many years there, now look at them. also as steven colbert said, “chrysler, the company that tried to convince you the pt cruiser was a great looking car”

hopefully ford will start mimicking their euro counterpart, and continue to hold strong

Ford really got lucky mortgaging the entire company just in time but I have to agree they are build better products now too.

BTW @ eMkay I would sell that GM stock if I were you. It will likely be worthless in a few weeks.

QFT, on both points.

YAY!!! My mother might not lose her job!

The Magna plant in Syracuse has huge “Auction Soon” banners all over it. :meh:

:word: & :word:

Ford seems to be making the best of it though.

This is because the company gave the employees a chance to restructure contracts so that the plant could remain open. They voted “no” twice and said Magna was bluffing. Idiots