Thumbs up to Ford [First Profits Since '08]

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aPNyqEOcgRMg&pos=1

Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) – Ford Motor Co., the only major U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy, posted net income of $997 million in the third quarter and its first operating profit since early 2008. Ford said it expects to be “solidly profitable” in 2011.

:bigclap:

Feels good to see an american company doing good without government assistance again. Hopefully they can stay competitive without the wage consessions now.

I could definitly see GM and chrysler having price advantages over them in the future and that could be a problem.

What do you all think?

They released a motherload of new vehicles this year. The next two years, they’re stuck with nothing.

I think it is too early to tell.

There share of the market could have gone up slightly since people lost confidence in GM

their sales are up and their products are actually attractive for the first time in my adult life. The only question is are they actually making enough per unit to be profitable?

agreed.

I drove a Ford Edge for work a couple weeks ago. I found it to be a very competent vehicle to be quite honest. Felt very safe and logical. I would seriously consider buying it for the wife when i am in the market in the next 18 months.

First time i was ever impressed with a domestic vehicle.

my colleagues 07 mustang GT however… meh

I was super impressed that my Ford Focus rental last winter had BlueTooth connectivity, voice-recognizing iPod and radio tuning, but NO CRUISE CONTROL. lol, :meh:

The company I work for only has Ford vehicles for their company cars. There are a handful of them that are nice. I wouldnt own one if given the choice, but still nice cars.

I have an 08 Focus for work. It has just about every option except ABS… which I wanted, but they didnt have a focus on the lot with it. Regardless the blue tooth and computer system is nice. Gets like 36mpg on the highway as well.

Id still take the Suby any day though!

Great to see… just hope their build quality holds up to the test of time.

Focus was the number one vehicle bought under the CARS program. Might have something to do with it…

Let’s see if they can keep it up.

My stock went up today, good job Ford.

I thought it was the Corolla? Good news if I’m wrong though…Even if I think the Focus is a joke compared to the one the rest of the world gets.

So why were they asking for UAW concessions and saying they couldn’t turn a profit without the unions help?

Ford received $5.9 billion from the government to retool factories. Hard to say they didn’t get any assistance.

One quarter does not a year make.

if you get the ecoboost one you can “chip” it and run low 14’s, maybe even high 13’s once the tune is a bit more refined.

ford is like the fastest runner in the special olympics sweet! j/k I’m honestly excited to see what they’re going to be coming out with in the next few years, I remember reading somewhere that they were going to reconfigure a bunch of plants in order to start pumping out small, fuel efficent euro ford cars. let’s hope that still happens!

Maybe because they don’t want to end up like GM and Chrysler. Profit or not the UAW is a drain on them and they still need to work on their labor costs if they hope to remain profitable.

Just hard to ask people to make sacrifices and post a billion in profit within the same month.

So I guess they should just overlook all the previous quarters where they lost money?

I guess they could go with the GM model of, “we’ll worry about it once we’re bankrupt”.

Yeah because GM never tried to negotiate with the union before BK?

All I am saying is it is hard to beg for money in a $4,000 suit.