ford excursion...thoughts please

sooo Im at the point where my family is outgrowing the Tahoe…what I need in a suburban is out of the $$$$ but an excursion:eek2: …(Im a GM hardcore) seems to fit the bill and well I dig & have always dug em…my ?'s reliability? I dont want to start a Gm vs Ford war…but hell Ive swerved a GM since I started driving…it will be used to tow & take roadtrips with…my 85 fleetwood & 240sx…to low shows & time attacks, how are fords w/ towing? what are red flags when shopping for 1? thanks!

they are great to drive but i hate the modular motors in those. thye seem to be hit or miss though. i worked on one that had 315k on the clock and ran great. then another one blew up at 95k. personally i hate working on them. for as big as they are there is no room

no room inside…are you serious!..I have yet to check one out in person…how is it compared to a 02 tahoe?..oh I have 4 kids…thats why Im dead set on int. space

interior space is great just no room to do the maintenance stuff on them
big thing is to see if the plugs have ever been changed. they tend to eat ignition coils. and blow spark plugs out of hte holes

oh ok…my mistake…cool…Im known for carrying a wrench on the lot with me…THANKS…315k…thats a monster…but 95…Id be pissed!..also is it true the ford would be better for towing because GM changed the frame design on ther newer 2k+ models…making them a lil weaker then b4…I think thats all Im worried about.

what do you plan on towing? talk to pewter he has a kick ass suburban. hauls 8 people pulling a trailer and never missed a beat.

my old neighbor has a 97 f-150 with over 550K on the clock changed the plugs at 350 and rear axles and front ball joints. the rebuilt tranny has lasted 450K original lasted 100K but that is about 90% highway obviously and he changes the oil every 3K which is about every 3 weeks. now that he has a company van it sits alot and is starting to give him problems… but not while he was driving it 200 miles a day every day

his truck always had over 800 lbs on it. between his boxes his rack and all the allum break that he needs for stuff. +all the windows and doors that he has to carry to install. reliability is there if you change the oil more then you should.