Talk to me about Ford Exploders.

Say 2006+. They look safe, reliable, comfy, slow as piss, mediocre on gas, and able to tow my 18’ boat from my house to the launch.

No?

Ew.

Gross

Meh.

What else? SUV, xterra or bigger, $15k.

Should be able to find a decent Grand Cherokee (05+), 4Runner (05+), or TrailBlazer?

I have it in my mind that Jeeps and Trailblazers are about as reliable as VW’s.

I’d have to go a couple years older with about 30k more miles, but then 4runners and Pilots are in that price range too. Might be better off. Probably less depreciation if nothing else…

Toyota is going to hold it’s value, you know that Ford and GM are going to rust the heck out and depreciate like crazy.

http://www.kentuckyinjurylawyerblog.com/Louisville%20KY%20Ford%20Explorer%20Rollover.jpg

This.

Dumbestic haters…

You use your boat?

What’s up with your xterra?

I looked at Explorers when I was downsizing from our Expedition but decided I wanted something a bit nicer and ended up going with the Murano. Lost 3rd row seat option for having a much more comfortable 2nd row and car like ride and handling. Tows the boat fine, and since your boat is the 2 year older version of my boat I’m sure it would tow yours.

Little scared of the AWD transfer case’s reliability after reading all the problems on nissanmurano.org but I just keep telling myself that a car specific forum for an SUV is a really bad sample to look at, since most people only sign up when they’re having problems.

I’d get the Honda Pilot. It’s not the best looking car in the group, but it’s a reliable car with tons of space and plenty of towing overhead (1k+ pounds more than murano) to handle the boat.

Sell boat. Go to Disney world.

One whole time this year. I like to think I might next year.

Nothing. Just playing with some ideas in my head. None of which are good ones. :smiley:

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Naw. Keep boat. Niagara falls = world’s biggest log flume ride. :tup:

Explorer is a solid vehicle that has been holding its value. The new one is unibody and alot of people are interested in the frame on body ones for towing and ruggedness. Get the V8 if possible it gets the same if not better fuel economy.

Rented one in fla. bout 2 yrs ago. i gotta say it was ok. rode well, looked good (was that bright blue color). was only a 2wd but i was fairly impressed. only put about 600 miles on it but i liked it.

I narrowed it down to the Pilot or the Murano. After driving the Pilot it was an easy choice. The Pilot is the Toyota Camry of the SUV world. It’s point A to point B transportation with all the flavor and excitement of eating cardboard. My Expedition was honestly more fun to drive because having the personality of a big rig is better than having no personality at all.

If you’re looking at a 15k budget an Explorer is a pretty good choice. You can get one with low enough miles that in 2 years if you decide you want something else you’ll be able to sell it without seeing too much more depreciation (assuming you take care of it).

Silverado SS. 03-04s are AWD

$17k obo: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-Sport-Silverado-/170709053399?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27bf0d6fd7#ht_500wt_1182

Interesting…I’ve never driven a Pilot. I just don’t think the Murano can cut it with the type of boat I’m looking to upgrade to…hmmmm