Frame steel

Ok here’s the low down.

My 240, when I picked it up I knew of a few little rust holes her eand there. ok no biggy. well those little holes ended up being larger holes whatever.

so onto the insue. I’ve got 2 bad sections of frame. first is right at the firewall on the drivers side where the exhaust it like 3 inches away. heat + salt - rust. second area is right at the muffler. where the hangers shold be but are no longer.

I have cut out all the rust and cleaned up the area. I took some measurements of the thickness of the steel I am replacing at its about 20 guage steel. for these stock sections I realize that there are overlapping sections that appear to be quite thicker than this.

I am wondering if I should use a thicker steel than 16guage ? it seems thicker than the stock sections. but I am wondering if it will honsetly be able to take the strain. it just seems a bit on the thin side for my gut feeling.

if anyone has done frame repair, and happens to know the guage of steel they used please let me know so I don’t end up putting this on and regreting it.

I’v bent these into U shapped pieces with a 2 cm lip on each side. I assume this will provide a decent amount of strength. each U section is only 14 cm long at the most and I may use multiple sections welded together to increase the strength. Not overlapped but butt welded to earch other.

thanks

James.

I tried adding you to msn I have the same rust places on my car… if it turns out well would you be willing to do the same to my car for a decent price?

I don’t even know what I’m doing. lol once I figure it out and get mine done. I’ll know what I’m up against lol.

later

Well aparently 1/16th inch standard steel is the metal of choice. ok so I went out and got some.

I have 2 metal benders 1 was designed for thin aluminum. and wont bend this. the other was designed for larger pieces of thin aluminum and wont bend this.

so I’ve got all my work marked out and ready to be bent and cut etc. and aside from thinking really hard and bending it with my mind I’ve got nothin. lol

Might anyone know of a place where I could rent or use a mtal break bender ? the only source I have is only capable of pieces 3 inches wide where mine are 12X12 sheets.

anyone know the proper way to repair frame, and if what I’m doing is correct and safe ? and when done will it pass safety check ?

thanks

James

I’m in Kitchener and have a 12’ Brake and Sheer… each will bend/cut up over 1/2’’ and if anything is thicker then we have a Plasma.

I will be replacing a section of my frame with in a month or sooner and may make a buy option for others who may be interested but I have not decided…

If you need a hand, let me know.

Jeff

well I’ve completed teh parts I need to weld up. but I need to improve my welding skills a bit before I do so.

I have obtained at canister of DEVCOM polymer steel. this stuff is gold. at $150 a little jar it should be lol. it stinks, like I’ve done a lot of body work in my day and have been around some stinky stuff, but this is like WOAH. aparently according to what I have read online as well as on the package (love the “for industrail use only” warning) it is actually sligthly stronger than its equivalent thickness in real steel. neato.

so I patched up a couple places. aparently it seals rust to boot so I just took off the loose bits and slapped this stuff on. only too about 5 min before it was rock hard. so time was of the essance.

I hope it works out but so far everything seems to be going smoother.

:slight_smile:

later