Frame Rot..Help Please

Well, in the fall when I was throwing on my winter tires, I noticed that my frame was rusting at the rear passenger wheel. I looked pretty bad, and I found out today that it was… I was putting some summer tires on today and I wanted to see how bad the frame acually was. I jacked up the car, pulled off the tire and checked it out. Not impressed to say the least. I have a section about 12" long that is completly rusting out. It is to that point where it is just layers of flakes that peel away. 1 section on the side is rusted through, and 1 section underneath as well

I really dont know how to get started to repair this. It is right by the gas tank, so I dont want to start grinding and welding… Im lost

Also, if I do cut a section out to weld a new piece in, is the frame going to shit or anything? How thick of metal should I use?

http://forums.neo240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=7212

you could just buy the frame rails for real cheap…

driver side…75171-53F00
passenger side…75170-53F00

64 bucks each… but these are the front ones… they mention in the thread that you can get the rear ones as well…

Drain the gas and let the car sit with the cap off and a stick in the pour hole to let the fume escape.

when it comes to the frame rail, just cut it out 2" beyond the rust to be safe.

for metal use whatever gauge thickness the original material is. if you use thicker it will be difficult to weld as one metal will require more heat than the other.

make sure the car is supported evenly on all four corners so when you do the frame repair it will be straight. you can use a tape measure to verify all 4 corners are off the ground the same distance.

once finished paint and coat with a thick paints use anti rusting paints like rustoleum and finish off with bedliner/rocker gaurd.

Yeah its just the rear passenger frame that I need. Thanks guy, looks like im heading to the dealer…

no, you definately don’t want to weld near the gas tank. Welding + Gas tank = Not so fun time trying to get chicks after you’re covered in 3rd degree burns for the rest of your life.

Best way to do it… Get someone someone else to do it who know’s what they are doing…

So, just take it to a shop then, with a new frame rail? The location in comparison to the gas tank was what concerned me. If it was anywhere else it would be fine but I really don’t want to be cutting/grinding/welding near it. I suppose I can just drop the gas tank though…

yeah, that would be best, remove the gas tank. and since its on the pass. side, I don’t think the fuel lines are in the way… can’t remember if they are or not… Since you claim it’s about a foot long section that needs to be repaired… You’re better of taking it to a shop to do it…

Well I headed over to the dealership today and the framerails are out of production. Last known price on them he said was $330. What gauge of metal is the original rail made out of? I guess Im making up some patches…

oh god, this is going to be fun for you =)

Let the good times roll…

also remember that if u are going to start cutting and welding the frame the bottom of the car will get really friggan hot. and the carpet is also going to get really hot could catch fire. so if u do that shit pull ur seats and carpet for good measure… just my 2 cents

Good point, I wouldnt have even though of that, I belive this will be right in the back seat/trunk area so i will pull what I need to. What thickness of steel did you guys use that patched frames? It seems like the original is two layers of steel, but if I just cut the rot and patched it up with an 1/8" or 3/16" plate, would that work?

Martin on NEO said he uses 10ga.

I’ve used OEM rails so far and was going to call the dealer for a price on rear rails …

i use 1/4 inch =D