FS: Asian Praying Mantis

hey there, that looks sick

you wanna send me care instructions. i am actually considering it. last week i just bought a 30 gallon tank and i don’t know what to put in it yet. I have a 10gallon for my gold fish and they have lasted 2yr(89cents from walmart lol). i also got a hermit crab which is pretty amazing.

So if you could tell me tank size minimum, feeding, cleaning, and climate that would be sweet.

there was once a mantis crawling on my hood at commerce gate… i squashed it.

wtf … why arnt u eating it?

hey jacktherabbit u got a 30 gallon? u cud put a pair or treo of bearded dragons in the breed them and make 15$ per hatchling its pretty much pure profit after the first or second clutch

are praying mantis’ considered good luck?
looks cool. wish i had the space for one of these

haha no way you deal with Darlene! Awesome, she used to deal with my dad! You will enjoy the pionus, wonderful birds!

Now that I see the pics closer, where did you get your cage from? Did you also get it from Darlene?

Nah I actually bought my cage from Petcetera, I had a friend who worked there (last year) and I believe i paid $150 cash for it.

I’ll take more pics of the cage, it’s awesome for what I paid.

And yeah, Darlene is amazing, she definitely seems to know what she’s doing, that’s why I’ve been waiting months for my Pionus, as much as she would probably want to sell the bird as soon as possible, she makes sure that the bird has to be ready before it goes to its new owner.

What kind of birds do you have?

this quote = win!

** sorry for long post!

well actually My father was one of the biggest breeders/ custom cage makers in Canada, we have had everything from Military macaws to blue fronted amazons (among other species) mullican cockatoos to love birds and everything in between. We had bronze winged pionus back when there were only 8 pairs in the country, we had 4 pairs… and we used to have about 100 pairs of species,

as of right now we focus just on large exotics, so off the top of my head we have 1 pair of Blue and gold macaws, 1 pair of green-wing macaws, rose-breasted cockatoos, goffins cockatoos, 10 pairs of Congo African greys, 2 pairs of Myers, and 50 or so cockatails (the profit from these guys pays for the food for the big guys lol)

Only reason I asked about your cage was because it looks very similar to the ones we used to sell. We used to produce a few hundred cages a year, my father is a welder by trade so it was natural to custom make these, for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts. Made out of wrought iron and powered coated, they were nice but now we can’t compete with pet store who sell a cage, for $300 when it would cost us a few hundred just to make right.

But as for Darlene, your in the right hands, not only would she not let a bird leave if it was not ready, but she would not let a bird leave if the owner was not ready, she is good at was she does, and trust me this is a bigger industry then it seems, there are so many people out there to rip you off, she is one you can trust to not only guide you in the right direction now, but help you if you should need it in the future. Good luck!

Hey Browntown, not sure what your name is, but thanks, your post was definitely really reassuring and I’m glad to hear that I’m in good hands :slight_smile:

Damn, there’s a shit load of parrots…

That’s awesome to meet someone else on SON who is really into birds as well, how do you deal with all the noise with that many birds? :stuck_out_tongue:

We should keep in touch! I’ve done a whole bunch of research on the Pionus but it’d be great to talk to someone who has first hand experience.

:slight_smile:

For sure, pm me with any questions, I can always refer you to my dad, research is key when it comes to a pet that can live 60,70 maybe 80 years. But If Darlene has kept it for you for 9 months (weening time I assume) then she obviously feels your capable.

As for the noise, we only have 1 Grey inside our house, as a pet, the rest we keep in a separate aviary, where we separate them by species and give them ample room to fly etc (we have large flights, they are between 10-13 feet long)

Oh and btw my name is Ashley, don’t let the name throw you, I’m a guy haha

Good luck, and ya if you have any questions about anything, food, cages, toys, clipping their wings, whatever just Pm me and I would be more then happy to get you some advice.

Awesome, thanks Ashley, I’ll definitely pm you if I have any questions!

u cna actually handle these guys!? thats insane!