FS: pair of audi hid ballast units - $200

teh only hid parts i have after this is a single a4 projector,

who wants them ?

bump

ttt

what year did these come out of?

later 90’s, possibly early 2k’s

Not that familiar with them. What parts do you need in order to do a retro fit, Ballasts and bulbs only???

these are the ballasts , so you would need either

A) bulbs based to fit the stock projectors on your car
b) to pick up some factory hid projectors and the bulbs / retainers that match

and then just wire on 9004 or 9005 headlight bulb plugs for the woer supply and your set

http://members.aol.com/lowrollerchevy/plugs.jpg

free bump for you. can’t wait for my retrofit!

bump

bump

does it come with the ignitors?

http://www.members.aol.com/nissan240sxpos/ballasts.jpg

2 wires in fro power, snap the other end onto the bulb, all set to go

ah, ok, but that will only work then if you ue a housing for the d2s bulbs… I don’t think you could cut the socket off and splice in a rebased HID bulb… but i am not certain…

EDIT: and put http:// before your url in the [IMG] tag

darkstarr is rocking d2s bulbs in his stock halogen housings using a small adapter, and you can get rebased bulbs on teh internet, the only difference between those and standard d2s bulbs is the plastic base itself … so theres no reason these ballasts wont work with any other bulb

hmmm, weird… i just don’t get why every other HID kit has inline ignitors on the way to the bulbs… maybe they are incorporated into these ballasts?

gotta be … i know tons of people have used them for retrofits and ive never seen anyone need to use external ignitors

Yo I posted in that 240 thread. Sorry, didn’t realize this was going on.

If you need those adapters, I got mine for 25 bucks shipped from a dude on AudiZine. I have to admit, it was kind of expensive for stupid little machined spacers, but they help prevent the bulb from cracking (which my dumbass did putting them in without the spacers). eBay was steeper on the spacers last I checked, and my stock bulbs are H7 so you know.

if i don’t buy these, i have a set of spare 8000K bulbs rebased to H7

whats the difference between these ballast and the one that is in a whole conversion kit on ebay that cost $300?

Because those are Gen 3 Hella Ballasts not some taiwanese made junk.
The only other ignitor integrated ballasts worth considering are Phillips Gen 3’s or a OEM piece such as off a Lexus.

Just some info for people who dont know better:

No manufacturer makes a HID bulb that burns hotter then 6000K. Phillips Ultinon is the only 6000K bulb made. Any higher advertised temperatures use a shit bulb or the glass is painted. Either way you are getting a shitty product.

No OEM HID equipped vehicles come with bulbs that burn hotter then 4100K. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a idiot. Light from BMW or Audi HID’s may look blue at certain angles because of a prisim effect created by the outer edge of the glass projector lens. The light is NOT blue. It is 4100K white. … at ALL times. Blue tinted bulbs put out less light then white ones… they also look really cheap on cars and its obvious the lighting was a hack job.

The only OEM manufacturers of HID bubs are Osram, Phillips and GE.

No OEM manufacturer makes rebased HID bulbs such as H7.

HID bulbs have a different focal point then halogen bulbs and the light emitted is no where close to even like the 360 degree spread you get from a halogen. That is the reason fot the notches in the base. They need to go in a certain position.

Stuffing a rebased HID bulb in a OEM reflector housing is a shit idea because the reflector pattern was NOT DESIGNED for that bulb. You will get a ton of glare, hotspots, and a irregular beam. The light from HID bulbs also looks like shit in reflector housings and blind people looking at it.

You may be able to get away with it in a halogen projector housing. Those projectors have cutoff shields and control the light MUCH better then a refector based headlight.