Garage work bench

OK it’s time. I need one to work on there really isn’t any way around it.

I’ve looked around and decided I’m going to build one from wood and cover the top bench work area with metal.
I want to have it be about 6-8ft. long .

My questions: Is there anywhere online I can look for guidance on building plans? Something maybe I can copy? Is there a deal somewhere for a premade bench that is more worth it?

Some different Ideas for you:

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=work+bench

Family Handyman magazine always has some cool ideas for building your own…check out their website for some of their examples

http://www.rd.com/family-handyman

I picked up something like this from Sears a few years back for a stupid cheap price of like $225…has a pegboard backwall with top shelf and undermount light, few nice drawers and a large lower shelf. Stability is a bit iffy when hacking away on some metal in the vise.

LOL: http://www.instructables.com/id/Pallet-Workbench/

any reason in particular you want a metal top on it?

I just built this. It’s got legs so it’s free standing, but then I bolted it to the wall. It’s insanely sturdy, cost me about 60 bucks.

wood soaks up to much oil, debris get stuck in wood and then in transfered to engine builds, there’s a bunch of small reasons. In my experience it’s a better working surface. I’m only going to cover a section of the bench with metal not the entire thing I’m deciding.

you could waterproof it I guess…Or grab a section of scrap indoor/outdoor carpet and throw it up on top.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a metal top… anyway, my design is super sturdy and easy to build… If you wanna come look at it I don’t think I’m too far from you.

my dad used to have an insanely heavy wooden one. It had like 800 drawers, and the top was wood with what seemed to be a laminate finish or something. It could take a beating pretty well, and oil and stuff would just wipe off.

he also has a few iron workbenches that are like 4ftHx20ftLx4ftW . ill ask him where he got them from, i know he didnt actually go to a store and buy them.
Or check the flea market or those types of things

Just do like newman. 4x4 legs, 2x4 cross braces, since you’re going to put a steel sheet on top just use plywood with appropriate reinforcement. Better/stronger/bigger than anything you’d want to buy for $50-100 bucks worth of wood.

what is your top …obv wood…but what kind

It’s just 2X8s

ahhhhhh

Exactly what I was thinking. Newmans bench was what I had it mind for building. I wanted to get a feel for what was out there and what people had. I needed somewhere to start. Newman just from that picture it’s enough to write out what I’ll need. I think I even have all the wood I need here except for the 4 X 4’s. Looks like I’ll build this thursday as it looks like rain.

I have a piece of maybe 3/8" metal…~15"x60" maybe (will have to measure), but I had thought of using this on my bench but just ended up never doing it. Chilling in the garage taking up space if you’re interested. Maybe trade me for some beer and it’s yours:)

you should pour a concrete top for it…It would be badass. They make some really good sealants for it.

might be a little more involved than you are looking for though.

That is a good deal right there.

When I make my work bench it will have a metal top.

I used to have an awesome work bench… the top was recycled bowling alley… lol

i dont think i have enough room at the new house.

deal, I’ll throw you a PM.