Gas Oven Issues

Anyone deal with gas ovens? I have a natural gas fireplace in my living room, and I’m having issues with lighting it. It lit in the past… but when I try it now, the pilot just goes out. The pilot will stay on on its own, but when I activate the main burner, the pilot goes out and nothing happens. I replaced the thermocoupler already, and that hasn’t solved anything.

Ideas?

Sounds dumb, but could it be some kind of pressure regulator or something? Think of it like a blow torch, if the gas is on too high, it won’t light. :gotme:. I don’t know shit about gas fireplaces lol… just a thaught.

My money’s on a flow issue, maybe that the main burner is flowing too much and blowing out the pilot.

nah, pilot goes out before i even hit the burner.

sounds like the gas coming out of the burner is blowin out the flame because the mixture or gas to air is wrong?

no.

the pilot goes out before the main burner even releases any gas.

From what you said it sounds like it WOULD have been the thermocoupler.

Look at the pilot while you manually hold it open, are both sensors (thermopile and thermocoupler) burried in that flame? May need a tweak?

Voltage test?

Brand, model, year?

Oh! and the biggest issue I see if it has been off all summer:

Spiders love the smell of NG and probably got in and A. died B. made a web C. both

The pilots light, but blocks some of the air chamber. Burner comes on and the pilot and burner go out.

Take a paper clip and a can of compressed air and clean out that pilot tube well. Make sure you stick it in the side hole too where the air chamber is.

Either way its either the thermopile generator, blocked pilot tube, thermocoup (replaced tho), or if its really really old, the valve.

thermocoupler ftw

Any update?

Really? thats fucking sweet i never knew that

I’m going to clean it tomorrow.

brendan… if you wanted to check it out I’d make it worth your time.

I’m not sure how many milivolts I should be pullin from the thermocouple, but a friend of mine with the voltage reader said there was a current, we just didn’t know if it was enough. That same friend of mine is trying to price some valves… if we need to replace that. But I’d much rather just give it a thourough cleansing… and be warm all winter.

I found the problem on my gas dryer today… the thermal fuse. Now I just have to find a place to buy one, hopefully tomorrow.

Thermocouple,we keep an extra on hand and it really sucks if they go in the middle of winter and you dont have a spare.

Thanks Jon… if it turns out to be the valve… I will have a spare thermocouple too… cause that means the first one was still good.

I missed your update.

If you need some help, I could try to take a look at it.

If you think you can handle it, let me know. I’ve already spent $250 for someone else to look at it and it still doesn’t work.

He is going to take 1 more stab at it… and let me know.