Need Furnace Help BRRR!

So the furnace in my house (forced air gas) isn’t coming on.

The pilot is lit, the blower just won’t kick on.

There is a button at the bottom of the furnace, I pressed that, it seemed like it fired up the furnace, threw more gas at it or something.

When I let go of the button it returned to “idle”…

If anyone can come out tonight and take a look at it for a fair price let me know.

Otherwise I’ll have to wait until morning to get my buddy over here.

THANKS

almost sounds like the thermostat is broken and not sending signal to fire it up?

bad thermocouple ? if thats bad the pilot will be lit but the system wont know it, so it will never turn on the full gas flow

Could be the thermocouple, could be the thermostat, could be the blower motor or the relay that turns it on, could be lots of things.

How old is the heater?

I had the same problem like a year ago. it was a Glow plug or something similar, it was blowing cold air, the gas wasnt igniting. You best call a repair man. if it continues to blow cold, shut er down.

It isn’t blowing cold air. It isn’t blowing. The gas however is turning on.

Do you have a multimeter?

i don’t know technical terms, but there is a rubber tube that sucks open a little vent to allow the glow plug to heat up and activate the furnace. it is probably clogged with dust/dirt. get a needle/thin screw to clean out the hose and part it plugs in to.

Is there a thermal snap disc on furnace blowers? That would keep the blower off, clearly.

Wait. I re-read the first post. The burners aren’t going on either. Never mind.

Anyways, my guess is a bad limit switch? (I don’t know if that’s the technical term on a furnace) But, that controls the cycle. That button reset that cycle or does a manual over ride. So…

I work with fireplaces. I know shit about furnaces. I’m just brainstorming.

You got anything that looks like this?

That’s the pilot on my furnace. Sorry for the shitty quality, but iphone + flashlight isn’t the greatest.

Basically when the furnace kicks on the pilot lights and a flame hits right on the element (pencil lead looking thing sticking out across from the orange conductor).

Once that element gets hot enough it tells the furnace to kick on the main gas vents and the main burners light. Sounds like your furnace is never getting that signal. Look to see if something came loose and the pilot isn’t hitting that element anymore.

Thanks guys, I have my hvac buddy coming tomorrow morning. He says sounds like a thermocouple…

Heater is probably 15 years old.

It has a lot of “new looking” parts in it though.

I have never worked with a heater before, so I can’t be too technical.

My hvac buddy told me to rule out the thermostat by touching two wires together, that didn’t fire the furnace, so its something else.

Update for the crew.

Thanks everybody.

My buddy came over and looked at it, he cleaned the thermocouple.

Everything looked OK, then he noticed that the furnace door as tripping the emergency switch, and keeping the unit off.

It must have rattled or whatever, we bent the door back in place, and it depresses the emergency switch.

We’ve got heat…

THANKS.

good deal!