GBtires opening a real store? Hrm?

Alright guys, most of you may know me but for those who don’t I’m the owner of GBtires. For the past years I’ve been actively selling tires/rims but I think it’s almost time to take this tire business into the next level. This isn’t to say opening a store will happen or won’t happen. I just want to see the reaction from my most loyal customers and from the friendships I’ve built on this site. I want to see if there is enough support for me to do this FULL-TIME and to cater to the needs of SON240 and of course other customers.

I have a few people who are actually interested in supporting me in this business venture but talks are still in the infancy stage.

Location would be either in North York, Markham or even Richmondhill.

I know who are some of the big players in the area and I believe I may be able to be competitive in this industry, or I wouldn’t have a 17 page Business Proposal to give to the bank.

This thread is just to hear the input of SON240 members and to see how many people would look forward to this.

I think a major role that GBtires would play is to support Drifting and other forms of Motorsports which is lacking in Ontario.

I know this can go into my own section, but I feel that more people check Car Chat and is a relevant topic to be discussed in.

Thoughts?

Thanks SON240!

PS: If you have any ideas, knowledge, connections or any other forms of support that you think could be beneficial to launching this business venture, please feel free to PM me.

no, stay at CARSTAR…lol

I would say go for it.

If the prices are competitive and you can get street slicks, drag slicks, r-compounds and all that stuff. I’m positive we can open an account with you. (my shop)

I’m contemplating on it. I need to feed and shelter my family. The pay can’t support it. This is just keeping an open mind and not to close off any doors of opportunity.

You know who to come to for company decals :wink:

Hi DuckJai, I would say keep your job and do what you are doing right now, selling your tires and rims on the side. Do it untill you have a larger client base. To run a buisness in times like this are very hard, people not spending as much and if they do they want a deal.
I wish you all the best.

best advice so far right there…

To be honest Samson, right now probably isn’t the best time to be starting a business up in the Automotive industry with the recession and all. If your going to however at least consider keeping your current job for the “fall back” position and the guaranteed income.

I think store fronts are overrated. Unless you can actually justify the cost with additional income, don’t do it.

maybe consider merging with a shop that’s already open?

Opening a shop now could be seen as a big step during these times.

As a minor step, maybe consider picking up a balancer + mounter and if you have space somewhere to run that maybe you can incorporate some service charges into GB’s offerings? It would give you a decent gauge at your custy base too and it’s obviously transferable to your future shop plans.

You could also consider trialling a wider product range…like lug nuts and wheel studs? Not really sure if this is worth your time but like draggone said just make sure your custy base is solid before you invest. Now might be a good time to baseline the market as a low point?

amazing idea…i would go to the oakville/mississauga border …

do not go to the area u said, to many ppl there allready man…

one more thing, dont take over 20k of debt…
good luck !

I personally think Samson’s making an excellent choice of location. I believe markham would be best.

I’m sure i’ve said this to samson before but if you look around you can pull of data on average income relative to township (you can probably pull this up from census reports) and then look at patterns of average age and average size of household it would lead me to choose markham. You have alot of households with dual income and 3 kids, who are more than likely going to buy cars and probably wheels tires if they fit into your common demographic.

And markham is made up of alot of asians both southern and eastern and those communities are relatively tight knit; meaning if one chinese person buys from samson’s store and is pleased, they’re likely to say to their chinese family and friends, “you need tires? i got this guy i go to near by.”

I would love to see GBtires come to markham.

In samson’s position i would just approach bigger stores about opening a branch in markham. (tires23?)

Im not sure if you own your house or what not. but i say if you own your house pick up balancer and tire machine and do things out your garage for now. keep tires in the basement along with office… you can claim that your basement and garage is used for business space in taxes. But whatever you do i wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I know the economy is down but right now is actually the best time to borrow money.

Interest rates are at an all time low.

It wouldn’t be a sole proprietor type, it would be incorporated so I would have a set amount of income as stated in a business plan that I would present to the bank when asking for a loan.

The best time to set up a business is during a downturn because money is cheap to borrow. When the economy picks back up in 1-2yrs the shop would be in full force ready to bring in the maximum amount of customers.

But with that said, this is just all planning for the future and keeping my doors open. Never close an opportunity. Who knows, I may stay at my current job for years to come and just do GBtires on the side just like I’m doing now.

On another note, I may even start stocking really common tires or tires that go on special/closeout just like the RE-01Rs.

Even if I don’t open a shop anytime in the near future, I plan on expanding GBtires to the extent of carrying inventory.

I have other ideas in the making but time will tell.

Keep all the opinions and suggestions coming! Thanks guys!

I think Cal-Soy can see where I’m coming from.

If i can catch a good 50% of tuners in the East End, that would also account for their parents, friends and so forth.

People in Markham and uptown have money to spend. As long as they are driving a car they will need tires.

I beleive capturing most of this market would be the determining factor of whether or not GBtires can be successful.

I know so many people who come from the east end and buy tires from me, or either tires23.

If you can just shift the location which would be 30min closer and have the same prices or even better, I believe all the customers can be captured if you treat them right.

Business is the way to go… biggest risks reap the biggest rewards.

my .02

samson i know someone in the tires and rims bussiness that wants to open up a store of his own and has a very very very loyal customer base. i personally think if you team up with him it will be very beneficial to the both of you. let me know if you’re interested.

Honesty I think its a great idea. It is a good time to start a buisness like this, for reasons mentioned above.

There really isnt an enthusiasts wheel/tire shop anywhere around the GTA(other then tires 23…meh). Get a bad-ass tire machine, a cheetah, and actually know your wheel specs that will work with what cars and look good.

Its a niche market, but there really isnt much competition. Being into the scene, knowing a load of people and already having a client base, you defiantly have a good base to work up on.

+1 on Markham.

Good luck samson.

Hunter GSP9700 ftw. Unless something else new recently came out.