get your mac clones while you can...

http://www.psystar.com/

better hurry, they’re currently being sued by apple so who knows how long they’ll be available.

pretty good deal for an “out of the box” PC that will run any OS you throw at it natively (no hacks required). Comes with a fully licensed copy (to you) of OSX and tech support/warrenty

I’m seriously considering getting one of the base models

If you legitimately buy the licensed software, how is it illegal?

because the EULA states that it can ONLY run on apple hardware (which makes no sense because it’s all being made by the same companies that produce hardware for other companies). So technically it’s violating that clause.

who knows though, the courts might throw it out (hopefully). It was a bad business decision (IMO) to move to an Intel chip AND release the source code for the kernel. If they really wanted to dominate, they’d ditch desktops (except for high end work stations) keep making laptops and release OSX for all platforms.

because apple likes to control the user experience and doesn’t want people using shit hardware to blame apple when they have lots of crashes etc…

do they have any choice but to release the source code? the are using a unix kernel. I’m not an expert on these damn license issues, but I thought that all unix kernels were open sourced.

edit:

it is not a sole apple developed kernel, they are obligated to keep it open sourced

I actually feel it just a burden they don’t want to deal with more than anything. Why support 1000’s of pieces of hardware, when they can choose to support less than 20-30 configurations? It makes life A LOT easier for them.

from a business standpoint though, they could really cash in and grab a substantial market share overnight… downside is, they wont be selling as many desktop units as they used to (and like you said, deal with crashes and all kinds of problems that M$ has to deal with in catering to everyone)

boardjnky, check this out. edit: the PPC Kernel is still open source. The Intel is now closed (due to piracy and reverse engineering that has been going on)

http://yista.com/2006/05/18/apple-closes-intel-os-x-kernel/