GM, Chrysler, Ford, and VW Sales Make Serious Gains in September

Anyone work at a dealer? Wanna share any info on what you’re seeing and what’s selling?

VW’s 36% gain seems random - must be all you hipsters buying them so you can put a rusty hood on a brand new car and then fit it with some ridiculous stretched tires. :smiley:

Also:

Toyota sales fall 17.5% in September.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/toyota-posts-175-drop-in-sept-us-sales-2011-10-03?link=MW_home_latest_news

Our ford store was 20 cars off the record volume month ever. So I would say sales are strong. We are also slightly isolated here in buffalo we dont see the swings like others do nationally. F150, Ecape, Fusion are top sellers which im sure doesnt come as a surprise.

VW has been gaining their global footprint. But it does not take a lot to increase by 30%+ when you are only selling 20k cars.

They sold 27,036 in September compared to 25,232 in August and 29,066 in July which were up yr/yr as well. Not exactly a new trend to see VW up year over year in 2011.

our sales have been up as well (ford store) used cars are down quite a bit but like posted above…fusion, escape, f150.

I’m guessing any economic gains are the result of creative accounting. JMHO of course.
Best case the sales are legit but these are leveraged sales we’re talking about, backed by depreciating collateral. All while employment woes continue.
It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out…but I say that at every potential turning point. :wink:

My father is closing the deal on a new F-150 today or tomorrow. I know Ford had a bunch of F-150 offers, up to $4000 off, $1000 trade-in assist, 0% financing that you could pick from adn even combine some. IDK what the deals are on the other Fords, GMs, etc. the past month but if they have been similar it makes sense units are flying off the lot.

With all the rebates and low financing offers…one might ask are these net profitable sales?

I felt like they were trying to get all the 2011s off the lots with the 2012s coming in because all the deals were on the '11s with almost no offers going on for the '12s

Chrysler Group, whose brands not only all scored positive sales results on their own, but collectively gave the company the largest rise is sales volume last month versus the prior year. Enough units were even sold to push the Chrysler Group ahead of Toyota Motor Company in sales for September, making the top three sellers all domestics.

In fact, the only brands really hurting besides Saab (-61.93 percent) and an inexplicably bad showing by Mini (-18.12) were Toyota, Honda and their respective luxury brands. These two giants from Japan are still clawing their way back from the earthquake in Japan earlier this year and neither has their global production back up to full speed quite yet. That’s in stark contrast to their cross-island competitor, Nissan North America, which hasn’t been shy in letting U.S. customers know it’s inventory is fully stocked, and which posted a healthy sales gain by volume of 25.28% last month in the U.S.

Here are all the numbers

I do wonder if they’re pushing high volume low profit to get their numbers up in these sales reports and flood the streets with their product.

Brian hope your dad closed his deal today, our deals change tomorrow! I sold a 2011 EcoBOOTS today, such and amazing truck and $5000 in rebates great deal also!

Are those Eco trucks as good as they say? I just dont see many buying a 6 cyl full size pickup and getting the same kind of power.

Twin Turbo 6 cyl you mean. It does rolling burningouts once it hits about 3500rpms the turbo hit hard. 17-18 mpg in mixd driving. 20-22 on the thruway. 400+lbs of torque at 2000. they are awesome.

That does sound pretty great and I imagine there’s easy power to be had with tuning.

We have two eco trucks and like eight 5.0L trucks at work. The Eco’s are nice but not worth the extra money in my opinion. For the difference you can add a roush blower and have 540/460 wheel.

but then what would the mileage be? sounds like a ton of fun but not at $4.00/gal

I drove an EcoBoost truck last December as a promo. Me and my 2 buddies went to the Ford dealer, I think it was Towne, and got to each drive it around for about 15 minutes each.

I liked most of it and thought it had plenty of power but I’ve only driven a couple of trucks so it wasn’t like I stepped out of a truck and then into this one. That would have made for a better comparison.

Two things I remembered though - the screen in the dash was useless as it only offered information on like 3 different things, and the headlights absolutely sucked. However, I’m used to the HID’s I have in my car so that could have been a factor.

There were cameras in the truck and whatnot and we each filmed a short interview - it was pretty sick. I would have shit my pants if I made it onto a Ford commercial.

Interesting facts from autonews article I read today:

Toyota group boosted September incentives 17 percent from a year ago to $2,472 per vehicle, and Honda sweetened the pot 7 percent to $2,370, TrueCar.com said. Over the same period, Hyundai-Kia, Ford and Chrysler cut their spiffs 7 to 19 percent and increases at General Motors and Nissan were less than 1 percent.