GM takes Toyota sales crown (for now)

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto102220071421519742&referrer_id=yahoofinance

General Motors outsold Toyota in the first nine months of the year, regaining its position as the world’s largest carmaker in what has become a close race between the two rivals.
Toyota’s performance was hit in the last quarter by a near 5 per cent drop in sales in the US, its largest market, where it has also recently suffered the defection of three key executives to competitors.
The Japanese carmaker, which sold more vehicles than GM in the first half of the year, on Monday reported global sales of 7.05m units through September, compared with GM’s 7.06m.

:clap:

thataboy

TORA TORA TORA!

Thats what happens when our dollar weakens.

When you pretty much give cars away it defeats the purpose.
Toyota kills when it comes to actually running a good business.
Where are the profits for each company?

Toyota
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=TM
Gross Profit: 39.98B

GM
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GM
Gross Profit: 42.67B

Granted these numbers do not tell the whole story, but you asked a question and I provided an answer.

Gross Profit does not show much at all. Toyota still has higher revenue and Net Income Avl to Common.

no matter what they do you guys will always undermine it anyway, so whatever.

temporarily. Toyota will be the #1 automaker in revenue and of choice by 2009.

:truth:

regardless, woohoo GM!

GM still sucks.

I wonder how many employees each company has, you know just curious which one has a higher payroll and such, see where all the money goes/who it supports.

I really don’t car one way or another who’s number one, just as long as each is forcing the other to get better and better…and as of late the quality awards and such seem to pointing that GM can make more cars better and figured out they needed to step up, while Toyata was making only as many pontiacs as GM made they had an awesome untouchable reliable product…now the seem to struggling with the huge produciton demand versus quality.

In all honesty, unless you have a winter/summer car, in 10 years it would seem our states lovely idea of using salt destroys them well before the powertrian needs to be replaced or overhauled.

GM contributes to my salary, Toyota doesn’t. Hence,

werd…think about it…the retired employees still get a pension plan. they get basically the salary as a working employee. Hence…the more retired workers, that is a HUGE expense for the automaker. Toyota does not have pension plans. Not sure if they even have unions.

They do not have unions. Wisely.

But they pretty much match anything that a union worker gets anyhow.

So GM sold 10,000 more cars globally. Does this news even warrant a thread? :gotme:

If it was Toyota outselling GM by 10,000, you can bet your ass that it would be posted, reposted, and celebrated.

Yeah, sure if they outsold GM in US Sales. But the article is talking about global sales.

GM outsold toyota because of the crack sales force at all the dealers!!!

sorry BigRon… couldn’t help it.

GM dominates markets such as china