GM ditching Apple Carplay and Android Auto

From the, “That’s a bold strategy Cotton” department, GM making more stupid moves to drive away customers…

GM claims you look at your phone too much using carplay (which is the opposite of what people actually do with carplay connected). Of course, later on in the article we find the real reason…

GM’s chief digital officer, Edward Kummer, told Reuters as much when the decision to drop CarPlay and Android Auto was announced. Automakers see subscriptions as huge new source of income to be tapped, with GM alone hoping to make as much as $25 billion per year just off subscriptions by 2030. GM already runs the oldest in-car subscription service around, OnStar, and has clearly stated plans to expand its subscription model to Super Cruise and Ultra Cruise in the future. The new CarPlay and Android Auto-free infotainment systems coming on the Blazer EV and future GM EVs include eight years of data to run their Google-based programs like Maps and Assistant, but after that, owners will be expected to pay for further data usage.

FUCK YOU GM! I don’t need a GM data plan when I already have data on my phone.

1 Like

Sheesh.

But are either of these actual selling points for a vehicle?

It’s the number one thing that stopped me from getting a model y performance vs my x3m. No wireless Apple CarPlay, no want the vehicle.

I was worried about this but dont even notice. have carplay in the truck and jeep. ill say that the tesla never glitches whereas carplay occasionaly does in both the jeep and truck. The tesla UI integrates with iphone pretty smoothly.
That said i have no trust in gms android based solution especially when compared to tesla.

Two people I know who recently bought cars made “it must have carplay” a deal breaker for them. I have a coworker who is debating about trading his Equinox in early because it was the the year before carplay came out and he really wants it after driving some rentals with it.

People that aren’t tech savvy love carplay because it’s simple and familiar. If you’re a tech person it’s hard to understand how important the cross platform familiarity is. You can hop into a rental car from literally any manufacture and as soon as your phone connects all the things you use regularly (GPS, responding to txts and Spotify) work exactly the same as every other car.

After 30-90 days with the new Tahoe, nearly everything stopped working w/o a subscription.

We ONLY use android Auto (not car play) and FM radio. Every other button/app reminds you every single day that 80k does not include anything useful.

I will not buy a GM data plan and if I could I would rip out its cell antenna/sim card

Edit: I think car play apps are mediocre and only a feature for those that want the same interface across several cars.

I dislike connecting my phone because my phone stops working properly even when I’m a passenger. There may be some workaround, but I don’t use it enough and make my wife connect her phone.

3 Likes

Aw man, now I can’t buy looks up GM’s shitty line of vehicles the new Trax, because it won’t have car play!

3 Likes

^^ I can confirm this, if it weren’t for the apple car play we wouldn’t be able to use anything in our 2022 Tahoe. The biggest thing that pisses me off is speed limit sign recognition, instead of using the camera based system that most cars use now, it goes off of Google Maps and what it says the speed limit should be. When we had the free trial, only some of the roads showed the speed limit, half the time it was blank because it didn’t know what it was, which was terrible. Now that the trial is over, it’s completely useless.

There’s no way I’m willing to get anything that has a subscription for basic things like the ability to use the apps on your own phone. That being said the Tahoe is an awesome truck, which is sad.

2 Likes

What things are missing for you guys? My wife has a 22 Silverado with zero subscriptions and we aren’t missing anything. I’ll have test tahoe here shortly and would like to try out what your all missing.

I accidentally hit the map icon all the time and get the spam.
Sometimes bluetooth “read aloud” brings up the spam, and other times it works.

Damn. Just bring back Nakamichi head units, am I right @bing?

have i shown you MB75 Music Bank stashed away just waiting for a 90’s car to be installed in?

these things are so finicky though, i would expect that it doesnt work. no point in a CD player anyways. havent used a CD in years.

1 Like

It’s amazing to me how much of a slave to technology we’ve become. I’ll never purchase any stupid monthly service for a vehicle, especially when you can do the same thing with your phone. There will always be a way to use GPS on the display, and to use a music service. If one of them stops working correctly, find another one. If it takes an extra 10 seconds to link it up, get over it. It’s being talked about on every forum or specialty page that I’m on. It’s like people can’t travel on the thruway without Waze. I just use whatever is on my phone. What are the benefits of Waze over Google maps when traveling long distances? There’s little radar icons on Google as well.

Waze radar updates much quicker than Google, despite Google owning Waze and saying they share data.

I’ve seen this countless times because I run both at the same time on long trips because Google’s routing is way better than Waze but I keep Waze up for the radar traps.

1 Like

i’ve been looking for the best option for my E9X M3 about how to be able ot listen to spotify and maybe use google maps in the car.

seems that part of the market is still developing. Mr12volt and Andream seem to have the best modules. i had a chance to see Mr12volt in a friends M3 and it seemed to work well.

I put an RSNAV unit in my 15 S5 to add CarPlay that uses the factory screen so it looks clean and OEM. It works, but it’s not polished like an OEM integration. 9 times out of 10 within about 10-30 seconds of starting the car it will wirelessly connect and the car will switch from the factory MMI to the CarPlay interface (which is way too long IMO). That other 1 in 10 you have to hold nav button (which switches from the Audi MMI screen to the little Android box) and browse through the shitty android menu to select the phone manually, then after a few seconds the CarPlay home screen comes up. It’s too dumb to automatically resume Spotify, even if I was listening to it when I shut the car off so I have to go into the Spotify app, go to currently playing, and hit play. First world problems sure, but still so dumb.

I’ve always had good luck with the Avin stuff on E chassis.

Time to bring back my Pioneer Supertuner II

If it ain’t a pioneer elite don’t talk to me.

havent been able to find a good shop to buy & install at up here yet. Thanks for that recommendation.