GM stock?????

Was actually going to post this earlier.GM stock is now(was before it shot up earlier) at a 50yr low.Anyone think at $11-12 it is a great buy?Also silver up $.70 today as well and they are predicting $20 again very soon.
Only trying to bring notice to what may be decent opportunities.

I don’t know how much longer GM will be around.

I rate: NOT BUY

I wouldn’t touch domestic auto stock with a 10 foot pole. How many years has it been since any of the big three posted a profitible year?

Ford’s is under $5 :fyi:

EDIT: Yes I know Chrysler is privately held.

:word: Although I don’t see how they could just disappear given how big they are. I see something along the lines of an epic restructuring under some sort of Chapter 11 protection happening within 10 years.

GM’s net income in 2005, 2006, and 2007 was -$10.5 BILLION, -$2 BILLION, and -$38.7 BILLION, respectively.

Not disappear, but certainly break up. Parts of GM could definitely disappear. The whole company could dissolve and reconstitute into something else leaving investors high and dry. IDK it’s not like a large US corporation has never gone belly up before.

bad, less bad, atrocious… respectively.

although, i believe in 2007 they took an outrageously large one time impairment charge to write down assets with zero value on their books. i think the actually had a much stronger year in 2007 from an income from operations perspective.

I think I read Mercedes is going COMPLETLEY green, somewhere by 2025 I think. Something like that. I offer nothing useful to this thread, other than Honda’s still suck, and neons arent fast.

im sure a lot of that 38 billion came from the buy-out options.

I vote, buy it. Etiher A: the fed will save it, or B: GM will get sold, and stock goes up.

There are too many jobs at stake for gm to ‘go away’

I vote for gm to make a car that dosent suck.
Gm has made 1 car that hasnt sucked sense the last gbody rolled off the line, and thats the 4th gen ls1 fbody.

Ford is closing down tons of truck plants ect.
I honestly see NO suvs in the future, but hell if you want one, nows the time to buy, they are giving them away at dealerships.

Vote dont buy it.

I believe GM is selling off Hummer, and may get rid of another brand like GMC or Pontiac.

:fail:

I’m glad my mother sold her shares (that my dad bought when he started working there) when they were at $41.

I for one would love to have a C6 and hopefully will one day. GM’s still got the vette, though counting on vettes to be profitable would be folly with gas prices skyrocketing.

GM is selling off Hummer. The new Zeta line at Delphi has been delayed (camaro). We are working tons of overtime to finish up the Trailblazer (discontinued). GM seems to be moving towards a good direction. The small cars are flying off the line and they are scrapping the gas guzzlers and downsizing pickups. FYI.

the vette gets better highway mpg than my stock 4 cly subie.

Also GM beat out Toyota for the month of June, keeping them on top despite an %18 loss in sales.

Yeah IIRC something stupid like $30 billion was a payout to the UAW in exchange for shoveling off a ton of legacy liaibilities onto them. Past workers medical or some such shit.

Their sales revenue really hasn’t been bad. Their expenses have just been impossibly high.

they are not “giving” them away. i work at a cadillac dealership and the suvs are still selling as they were before gas prices were an issue.

it comes down to the fact that if someone can afford/wants to buy an suv, they are going to. Same can be said about full size trucks, guys who have always had big trucks arent going to let the gas prices bring them down.