GM viral ad on youtube

thoughts? When are companies allowed to fail anymore?

I’m not saying I want people out of work, but seriously, where do we draw the line?

everytime I see a thread like this I just want to slap gm for making ugly cars nobody wants and ontop of that charging 12k more than their competition. Its retarded they dont deserve a bailout they deserve a swift beating with wiffle ball bats.

I had a buddy try to convince me that a pension should be expected from a company… I don’t even want to get started on this BS.

I would love to get a pension from a company. I am glad I put my time in the Highway Department. In the contract it allows me, if I somehow want to get a job there when I am 50 to buy back my time at a fraction of the price (say 1/10000) then work for 3-5 years and receive a NYS retirement! I love the government.

Who wouldn’t love a pension?! Its just a dumb idea to think a company can and should owe their employees anything beyind their employment dates.

Hit the nail right on the head !

wah wah wah I’m GM and I ran my shit into the ground (no thanks to the UAW either)

:picard: to this entire thread. Mentalities like this are the reason the generation entering the workforce now is going to be the first in American history to have it worse than their parents.

Well maybe if we got sweet pensions we would be fine. I would LOVE my company to baby sit me after i retire! Instead i have to prepare for my own retirment and take care of myself… Its a crazy concept i know!

Wow the beginning of that video certainly makes national healthcare seem like a must. Everything is falling into place. Good propaganda.:tup:

GM is now using the same tactics the unions have always used.

So you don’t think you’re entitled to ANYTHING after you retire if you serve a company for your entire working life? No health insurance,pension,etc? Just a boot in the ass out the door?

You get paid every week for what you did.

I dunno man, I think thats kind of a personal responsibility everyone needs to make sure they can handle.

Either way, it’s obviously not working.

Health insurance is the only thing that people shouldn’t really have to take care of by themselves because the cost of healthcare. A pension however is a concept that has no place in this economy. I contrubute weekly to my future, my company is kind enough to match it. A 401k is also by no means expected but it is a nice gesture.

pretty much my feelings on it too

Yes 100% You are responsible for your retirement. Sure if they person was an outstanding employee I don’t mind them getting a nice retirement package… but, those are few and far between. Thanks to the Unions.

People should not have to work until the day they die. And the more pensions are being slashed, the more and more fucked Social Security is becoming, since retirees who worked with the understanding they’d be taken care of being dumped on the government. But this is getting political, so this will be my last post in here. Instead of the Chinese and Indians adapting to our culture about work and bettering themselves, we are quickly adopting theirs and becoming worse off.

you shouldn’t have to work until you die, but you know there will be a point when you can’t work anymore. Its your fault if you didn’t make the appropriate preparations for it.

Unfortunately, the generation retiring now, was given the hopes that they could be given the money to retire from the company. Sadly no one thought about the possible outcomes.

THe difference between us and them is that we are given opportunities to succeed. If i end up poor or working until im 70 its because of me and the decisions that i make for myself.

This is the only shame… Our generation has it harder without a doubt but we won’t be blind sided.

Today’s companies care less and less about their employees and more and more about their shareholders or owners. The companies of yesteryear would be happy to take care of their employees for life and post a small profit for the shareholders. Everyone wins. Now, they use the cheapest employees possible, pay them the least they can, give them the fewest benefits they can get away with, and have them become shareholders themselves in order to retire. Because of the business model, they make more money on their investments that they would have, but the difference is that the more you start with, the more you make. So the upper class retires better than they ever have, and the lower class ends up with insufficient investment growth and work longer than their past generation had to.

Then earn money and become a share holder.