GM's new Performance Engine Lineup

Taken from GM Insider, and LS2.com/LS1tech.com, I’m just going to post the basics from what I gathered.

LS2:
HP: 400
TQ: 400
Cfg/Cyl: V8
Valves: 2 OHV
Displ: 6.0L 362ci
Block: Aluminum
Heads: Aluminum
Vehicles Offered: '05 Chevrolet Corvette C6, '05 Pontiac GTO, ('05 possibility)'06 Cadillac CTS-V, '05 Chevrolet SS-R, '07 Chevrolet Camaro SS (unfounded still)
Notes: Nothing

LS5:
HP: 445
TQ: 450
Valves: 2 OHV
Displ: 6.4L 383ci
Vehicles Offered: '06 Pontiac GTO Judge, '07 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, '06 Cadillac STS-V, '07 Cadillac Escalade-V
Notes: Nothing

LS7:
HP: 525
TQ: 530
Valves: 3 OHV
Displ: 7.0L 427ci
Vehicles Offered: '06 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, '06 Cadillac XLR-V
Notes: Variable Valve Timing and Displacement on Demand

Hows come the 07 Z28 gets the LS5 and the SS gets the LS2?

LS7 gotz da VTEC, YO!!! MAD POWAH!

because theyre doing it right this time. back in the 60’s the Z/28 was the power package. the SS was more of a looks/suspension

vtec bitchhh

interesting. I did not know that. :cool:

here is the supposed new Camaro SS

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jr551/camss.jpg

hmmmm, cant say I really feel the styling… kinda looks like a GTO had anal sex with a 350Z. :hs:

Not too crazy about the rear, but the front end’s not bad. Maybe I’ll buy one if I have my current project done by then. :rolleyes:

IBYOURWIFE

IBOWNAGE

Maybe I should have phrased that better. :doh:

Blue is like that guy in the commercial (vehix.com?) where he spouts off data about cars. :bigthumb:

haha

The Z28 was added in the first year of the Camaro ('67, but I think you at least knew that) in order to homoligate the 'maro for Trans Am racing. Accorind to TA rules a certain number of a given vehicle w/ the engine/trans package to be run in the racing series must be sold as street vehicles for the car to be eligable. At the time the Trans Am displacement limit was 5.0L so GM basically put a 283 crank in a 350 block to create a legal 302 cui motor. W/ the 4.0" bore and 3.0" stroke it was a high reving motor, perfect for the road courses of the Trans Am series, though not rated as the highest HP motor (for insurance purposes) in the Camaro lineup the Z28 (which by the way was just the Regular Production Order or RPO code used for the model… they decided to keep it as the vehicle’s name) was the top of the line (excluding Central Office Production Order or COPO cars such as the 427 Yenko Super Camaros from down in Cannonsberg PA) and featured upgraded suspensions as well.

The DZ302 carried through the end of the 1st Generation run ('69). I believe the displacement limit for Trans Am was then raised or lifted, as the '70 Z28 got a 350, but was still technically the top of the line Camaro. The Z28 name went away and came back a bit… but whenever available it was the top of the performance line… untill '96 when the SS moniker returned but only as an addition to a Z28. So only in the 4th Gen. is the SS the top of the line model.

-TJ

67,68 =ss,rs Or Ssrs,69=z28

I was always partial to the COPO’s :bigthumb:

Dream car - 69 Yenko ZL-1 in dark green

1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL-1 :bowdown:
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 2-door sedan
Price as tested (1969): $7806
Price and option breakdown: base Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe (includes $59 freight), $2786; ZL-1 high-performance package (includes aluminum 427 V-8, ducted hood, heavy-duty springs and radiator, transistor ignition, 410:1 Positraction axle), $4160; 4-speed manual transmission, $322; Yenko sports-car conversion package (includes heavy-duty anti-roll bar, rally wheels, E70-15 tires, 140-mph speedometer), $185; dual-chambered exhaust, $67; power front disc brakes, $64; AM radio, $61; trim group, $47; molded front bumper, $42; front and rear spoilers, $42; interior group, $18; floor mats, $12
Major standard accessories: none
Sound system: Delco AM radio, 1 speaker
ENGINE
Type V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke 4.25 x 3.76 in, 108.0 x 95.5mm
Displacement 427 cu in, 6993cc
Compression ratio 12.0:1
Carburetion 1x4-bbl Holley 850cfm
Emissions controls auxiliary air pump
Valve gear pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder, solid lifters
Power (SAE gross) 430 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque (SAE gross) 450 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

http://www.1967z28.com/graphics/z28-letter1.jpg

The Z28 was introduced in the '67 model year.

-TJ

u right ,i hda a brain fart!

Z/28 has been around since the first year

I also found out GM will offer the Z06 with a 6spd Automatic transmission as well.

:cool:

It kicks ass that the car companies are coming out with some badass cars now. Think about the mid-late 90’s. Only thing that had some real power was the Viper. I’ll bet no one would have ever though that there would be stock 4cyl cars that would be able to whup on mid 90’s cobras/Camaros/Vettes.

it was only a matter of time to be honest. With the crash test standards going easier, and the emissions testing.

With the Sport Compact popularity booming. etc etc. It had to happen. Car companies knew they couldnt market a muscle car to the average teenager either, like they could back in the 60’s and 70’s.

But to be honest, turbocharging a smaller displacement engine is something the Japanese etc have not thought up of first. the mid 80’s Turbo Buicks imo is what started the craze. At least over here.