Go-Pro or similar

I’m looking at picking up a Go-Pro style camera and was pretty set on the Black edition…until I went on Amazon to buy it. There are TONS of reviews saying how bad the camera is. Has anyone used one recently?

Is there a solid alternative to the Go-Pro line up?

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was turned off by the black edition reviews as well, just picked up a silver edition, i’ll post up some info once the 64gb chip arrives tomorrow.

Ok these are others I’ve found thus far. Has anyone used any of these?

Sony Action Cam
Contour
HD Ghost

I’ve been a fan of the Drift series. They have a nice feature that no matter which way the camera has to be mounted, as long as its facing the direction you want, you can twist the lens to make it upright all the time. It helps with off angled mounting that say requires the camera to be upside down.

The Ghost for the Drift is nice with the 2" lcd screen or something similar to that size. It allows you to view anything you’ve recorded or if you are mounting it somewhere, you can view it before recording.

Edit: the rep and person you would talk to if you had issues with this camera, life in Ellicottville, NY and is very helpful.

Action cam has wicked slo motion. A lot of the footage on my base vid was shot on that. I have no major qualms with the hero 3 black.

Ok cool, there are tons of people saying the Black is hit or miss. You either get a good one that works or you don’t.

I just signed with a distributor that carries Replay XD cameras… http://www.replayxd.com/

Do any of these come with a gps option? It would be nice to have a real time speed/map display.

None of the Replays or GoPros do. Contour does (http://www.contour.com/) along with some more more expensive systems as well.

Another Drift advocate here, mine has been great so far.

Ok purchased the GoPro Black. Deff has the best capabilities minus the GPS option. We’ll see how she does.

I loved my Drift camera I won and got handed. Used my one for Killington VT and found it to be a great help with being able to twist the lens to make the picture right side up no matter the engle the camera is twisted, as long as it points in the direction you need, you’ll always be able to make the video right side up. Just hope they make an internal system next that twists the picture depending on the angle (if you set the camera to do that) obviously some times, you want an angle different and maybe upside down.

I have the Hero2 and love it… for the price its hard to beat.

I just wish they would design the look of it more like the Epic cam though… super sleek, plus im on the box :snky:

Took a couple boring videos of me driving around and it worked well.

hero 3 silver here, love the 1080… looks so crisp… audio kinda sucks at high speeds though (wind noise)

I guess I’ll post here so I don’t start a new thread.

I am looking into batteries and chargers for the Gopro. I see that the off brand batteries are a lot cheaper.

All batteries I’m looking at say they are 1050mah. Has anyone tried the generic brand and noticed any major differences. I’m ok with 10 minutes less of time since I can buy 2 for the price of 1 gopro battery.

They don’t last as long from what I’ve noticed, meaning long term. When new they aren’t bad but after a year they lost their charge much quicker. Might have just been my cheap Egay ones.

I Love my go pro and its been thru hell and back and still works… only thing that bugs me is the red record light stops working randomly

Thank you. I almost just want to get them anyways if that’s the case. I can get like 5 of them for $20.

Checkout techmoans review of the mobius camera.

my ultra nerd videographer friend says its better than the gopro video wise. However it is NOT waterproof.

I will be ordering one myself soon.