Good Business School in Pittsburgh

So I am planning on moving up to Pittsburgh for the fall semester of '10 and am looking for some insight on the universities around. Ive noticed there seem to be quite a few but I know absolutely jack about them. My major is Business Management and Ill have about a year and a half left so I would like to try and finish out in a decent university, that said what are my options? I dont know if Ill have the GPA to transfer to Pitt itself but are there any other schools around that have a good program? TIA

RMU?

www.rmu.edu

Business management is a useless degree!!! unless you are good looking and minor is phamacuticals… then you can be a pharm rep. other than that business anything is a degree that fails in the real world. but try CCAC for business

I always thought Business Management was the degree you went for because you either couldn’t do anything else or didn’t have any idea what you wanted to do. :dunno:

I guess a degree in anything is better than no degree though. :slight_smile:

That place left a hell of a sour taste in my mouth (circa 2001-2002) (as far as the college administration), but I know they have invested a bunch of money in the last few years so maybe it’s better now.

But Pittsburgh has a shitload of good schools. If you want to be in the city, Duquesne or Pitt are good options. Where are you transferring from and why?

I was thinking about Business Management because, like said, Im really not sure what I want to do and that would leave me a pretty wide range of options. Plus if it was something I liked I could always go back for an MBA. Im about 50 hours from a degree and this just seems like the best idea. I might look towards Accounting or Economics as well.

Yeah right…ask steve on here about RMU…he is the most educated roofer I know

wow… that’s way over generalized and pretty much total garbage input…

business management is good for anything regarding structured management… while it might be ‘useless’ i’d say that, psych, health services, communication, theater, arts, etc. etc. are much less degrees… business management at least covers basic economics, HR and generalized courses geared to business… i’d rather hire someone with econ 101 and business management than someone with western cultures 101 and a pottery class… duh

CCAC is a total throw away program for business and isn’t it a 2 year school???

a girl I know has a masters degree in Russian history. :rofl:

I graduated from Duquesne with a Business Administration degree, concentrating in IT management. It was geared more toward the big 5 (at the time) consulting firms. I really liked Duquesne because the program touched on everything a little bit so macro / micro econ, financial accounting, managerial accounting, marketing, etc were all business core. On top of that, if you wanted a concentration in IT for instance, you had to take a couple database theory / management / project classes, a programming course or two, etc.

I feel it fit my personality because it was very “jack of all trades, master of none”. I’m definitely not a technically proficient as some of my counterparts, but I’ve never been pigeon-holed into a job, like red hat sys admin. In my current job I’m a manager for an IT department at Carnegie Mellon and I love it because I get to use all of the skills I learned from web marketing and design to windows and linux administration, to managing 6 other people and the expectations of my boss.

Career services kind of sucked when I graduated but I believe our expectations were out of touch with reality. A lot of the professors had great corporate ties, but if you either weren’t in good with the prof or you didn’t want to work for Deloitte, you were screwed. I left with somewhere just shy of 40k in debt for all four years. It didn’t help that most of my class graduated 3 or 4 months before 9/11…

I can’t speak for Pitt directly, but my dad recently finished up a degree similar to mine there and seemed similarly diversified. It was a little more computer oriented and he did a little more programming though.

As I said, I work at CMU and currently take some classes toward a masters degree in IT management. They have a track for managing in a higher ed environment that is very interesting to me. I literally hate life when I take classes here though. There is far more work than I have ever had to do. A ton of reading and a ton of group work. It’s tough to do it all while working a full day.

Hope this helps! Best advice I can give is to do a little bit more thinking so that you don’t end up burning your money. If you find something that really interests you, concentrate on that.

CCAC has a great program in tandem with IUP where the final BS comes from IUP but the majority of your classes are CCAC-based.
Saves big time $$$ and you still get the piece of paper from a recognized university.

Saying Business Management is useless… wow… I know a lot of people with that degree doing the 6-figure thing on salary. I can’t say that about liberal arts or communications majors. Business Management gives a strong foundation for any job in the business field.

I would say anywhere but Duquesne.

The two best business programs in the city bar none are Pitt and CMU.

If you can’t get into one of those two, then your choices are probably going to come down to affordability. Why pay a ton for a 2nd rate business degree when you could pay a lot less for the same degree.

RMU is a better choice than Duquesne. Duquesne is too hard up on Supply Chain and all that shit. It’s important to understand, but you don’t need an entire degree in just that one relatively finite area.

Point Park isn’t a bad option either if you absolutely want to be in the city, but I’m not sure what their affordability is like.

Point Park is expensive, but they have great Financial Aid people. Their school of business is also pretty good, and I’m pretty sure they’re expanding it. Not positive, though.

CMU is obviously best for business, but if you think you’re GPA isn’t good enough, it’s best to not even try. RMU would be a good school to look at. I know that traditionally Chatham and Carlow are “girl” schools, but they are affordable and have good programs. They are also pretty easy to transfer to. Worth looking into.

Accounting, Economics, HR are all great to get into. A little bit better than a Business Mgmt degree; you’ll probably have a better chance at getting a job.

Pgh has a bunch of good schools… But what good is a Business Mgmnt degree? I mean with that you could be a manager at McDonald’s I suppose. Thats almost as useless as a Criminal Justice major.

Point Park has a pretty sweet accelerated BA program, all you need is 60 college credits to qualify. They have like 5 or 6 majors to choose from and you would just have to attend each Saturday for 8 hours for 2 years. Its expensive though.

Good Luck

I just finished up my BMGT degree at Pointpark University. I my first did 2 years at a C.C.

I really enjoyed the classes and teachers @ PPU, I’m sure there are better schools out there however I was on a very limited budget and Pointpark gave me the most scholarship money. PP also has gotten millions of dollars in federal monies that they are currently investing back into the school. PPU also has a saturday program, as well as evening classes depending on when you can attend.

My goal is to get my MBA from Duquesne at some point in time. There are plenty of good schools in pittsburgh, so I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for here.

fuck college. Just give me $10K cash and I’ll teach you everything you need to know in 2 months.

I can say for certain that a Business Management undergrad degree is looked at the same regardless of where it came from.
You need an MBA to get anywhere anymore.
That doesn’t mean the Bus Man BS is not a good degree. I hire plenty in to high 5 to low 6-figure jobs with only that. But we couldn’t care less what school it is at that level.
You want to move up, you need the MBA.

This is the route I was looking into, but it is really expensive.