Good new for Fios customers

Verizon will be rolling out gigabit internet to markets for $70 (not sure when Buffalo will get it) but it sounds they will be phasing out the older speed tiers. For people like me who have had it for numerous years it will likely require a ONT upgrade and if you are still using Coax from the ONT you will have to switch to CAT5/6 ethernet from the ONT.

Already running full gigabit lan at my house and my ONT has been hooked up via ethernet for years. They haven’t touched my ONT since it was installed like a decade ago though so I’m sure it will need an update.

The older white ONT’s only had a 10/100 ethernet port.

Would this be visible on my Verizon website yet if it was available, or is this news that “it’s coming”? I’m seeing 500Mbps as my max speed on the website for $249/mo. still. No 750Mbps as the article mentions.

Not in Buffalo right now, only the cities they have listed. Seems like every plan between 50/50 and 1GB is going away if/when it does come.

Is there a search on the site where I can tell what areas of WNY have Fios? Buying a house and need to drop shitty TW.

Interesting, as I write my $70 monthly check to Spectrum in Texas for 100/10 service.

What’s interesting is that you still write fucking checks to pay utilities! I’m actually impressed.

I assume they will look at this by market where they have competition the same way Timewarner/spectrum offered really high speeds where Google fiber was?

Well they already cocked up the rollout of this, which doesn’t surprise me as that is one of VZ’s biggest problems. If you are existing sub expect to get screwed on pricing.