Google's "sketch up"

Deadly simple “cad” program. Anyone download it yet? (adam?)

playing around with it, I can’t work as quickly nor as detailed as I can in solidworks but apparently some people can… You can look up on google’s database of uploaded files and add them to an assembly. unfortunately as far as I can see, you can’t edit them though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Mafdark/su.jpg

looks cool, i’ll have to get it and see what i can draw up

It doesn’t have adequate features needed for building a proper component(stressed part), doesn’t integrate with good stress analysis(Cosmos), and just has quirks all in its own… It also doesn’t integrate with CAM software, so any parts you make in that don’t transfer well to a CNC machine.

For a program to allow people to doodle or get novices moving in the field it does get the job done, but personally I think people would benefit better from something like Rhino. It is simple to use, but most will grow past it pretty quick

We use it at work, and combine with vray it can generate good results. Not really an engineering program.

example:

http://www.asgvis.com/images/asgvis_pr/vfsu/Ando_VfSU_Color_web.jpg

I’ve poked around in it trying to throw together rough perspective composites to use as a painting guideline but so far suck at it, probably need to go through a few tutorials. It seems easier than Maya or Lightwave but they’re hardly the same thing I guess.

dont like it.

It is a much much simpler modeling program to use than maya or 3dmax and best of all it is super easy to make changes. Some firms like us have been using sketchup for design developments and client concepts way before Google bought the company, and after that it became much a more popular and many other companies are willing to invest time and money to write good lighting and rendering programs for it.

Google bought the company as part of their ambitious plan to map the world in 3D, which aided in city planning and shadow studies in large cities.

Pretty interesting.
If they combined it with something like photosynth to get the street-level to look good, it could go pretty far.

yea google is nuts

they are the only ones who will say "lets map the whole world in 3d ! " and be serious about it

the program is cool IMO

but use what your used to !

3ds max is my cup of tea :smiley:

I’ve messed with Sketchup awhile back (9-10 months?). Pretty cool for a quick sketch, the company I work for actually used it for basic equipment layout (very basic) in the new cleanroom they’re building.

Ya I think the name suits the program well

yeah it is a prety basic system, my dad used to sell/use solidworks and CAD making airplane parts for a company called dynabil located in coxsackie NY, also he used cad in his last job at clough harbor and associates (located behind wolf rd) its a pretty cool basic program though

next time u decide to talk about what your dad does be a lil more descriptive

That picture looks like something taken straight from the game Portal.

Yeah i wouldn’t doubt that this software fits the bill perfectly for home decorators and the like looking for a simple but effective layout program to show customers a visual reference to what their rooms/home could look like.

Real building by a famous Japanese architect Tadao Ando. :open_mouth:

Church of Light, Osaka, Japan.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2562795037_f009016242.jpg

hah, didn’t even know that. pretty cool.

Quick Portal view…