Some solidworks fun

Had some free time this week and something possessed me to start this:

Not quite done yet, but a lot more detail in it than would ever really be needed already.

lots of fun isn’t it :tongue

“Why do you do this if it’s this tedious and frustrating?” -Mike’s wife

does solidworks simulate forces and junk too?

like, could you get it to shoot a rod through the block? cuz that would be cool.

i only used 07 and 08 but you couldnt damage the parts. you can rotate it and check stress points tho

solid works is amazing i wish hudson valley used it more. when i went to school there they tried teaching me shity 2d cad after i had 2years exp 3d design. fail thats why i decided to teach myself

and measuring things and inputing that into pc each time sucks esp if part is mass produced. check out 3d scanners that input cad. amazing and time saving but expensive unless you have engineering buddies. and most honda motors are already on file for solid works

Apparently you didn’t take any English courses while you attended HVCC, and you really should have!

I need to start messing with Solidworks and design some parts for my ZX10 :excited.

No.

I love solid modelling. Never gotten to play with solidworks for more than a couple minutes though. I learned on Inventor, and used ProE at school. Inventor is fun but not as useful, ProE is stupidly useful but obnoxious to use.

Looking forward to the solidworks/rapid prototyping course I’m taking next semester.

Rapid prototyping is lots of fun. I have friends at a couple different companies willing to make parts for a few bucks. I hoping to find something for them to make for me.

Switching over to solid works is apparently pretty easy although each company has been actively been working to create unique features and menus to make switching more difficult after you learn one.

I’m really hoping to get expert certified in solidworks while I’m overseas but I need to get a legit copy of the software first.

Not to sound like a complete dick there but I didn’t feel like typing it all out on my phone.

#1 Simulation/cosmos can calculate stress and strain on a given part or assembly and give you accurate information as to the expected deformation of components. It cannot and will never be able to “simulate” component failure and the result of that failure.

1. Motion studies/animations allow you to simulate forces such as those from gravity, springs, motors, etc. and allows you to set parts to “conflict” so they don’t just pass through each other. however this does not tie into the simulation/cosmos directly.

2. Honda does not and will not share part files with anyone. It simply will not happen. Individuals like myself can model them and share them on sites like 3d content central, but currently there are no honda engines on file for download or purchase. There are quite a few websites that host content but again, there are no D, B, or K series engines available for download.

I would be willing to pay a certain sum of money if they were available. so if you are able to find some, I’ll spot you $50 just for that.

1. the scanners are awesome a friend working at Harris has one at his disposal but it can only do small/light parts (maybe 12" in height, 6-7 inches in diameter MAX) and the equipment probably cost in the ballpark $250k. Someone else I knew who co-op’d at pratt & miller had access to a larger one that they used to produce models/parts for the C6R. I can’t imagine the cost of that one and I’m sure that had something to do with the fact he was never allowed to use it for non-work related purposes.

Laser scanning is an industry in itself. I pay big bucks to have various vintage race parts scanned and converted to prt and iges files. Costs more money that you can imagine, but in the long term saves a good deal in man hours. What would take me ~10 hours to do myself, the scanners can do in an hour with resolution to .0001". It just costs $1250 per hour :lol

Mike also covered Cosmos FEA well. It’s not programmed to show destruction. I use that program extensively with my job. Simple program to use, very difficult to actually implement what it’s telling you into correcting the issues at hand.

I’ve been working with solidworks for many years now, am quite adept with it but every time they change the program I have to relearn shit. With the thousands of hours I have in the program I still wouldn’t call myself an expert.

I took CAD at hvcc and used solidworks quite a bit. They tought it fairly well. I also used it for 2 years designing safety systems for c-130s and ch47 chinooks, for the main purpose of stress analysis. I’d love to sit down and design parts and whatnot but i just dont have the time or access to the program anymore.

10 years ago I worked as a drafter at supersteel and we had a 3d scanner big enough to scan the bodywork on a train :smiley:

I made a my name in 3d in CAD in high school.

we didnt have computers in high school :frowning:

***** you old

I just started on the intake manifold. I may have to learn some new tricks for this one. I’m not really sure how to approach it where the runners meet the plenum. Also the runners are a real bitch to keep the interior profile from spinning but still “aimed” at the plenum the entire time instead of the shape keeping a normal constant throughout the curves/bends.

Man you should be going to MIT or something

I’m going to try to refrain from turning this into a F&F quote thread.

I use a reverse loft and/or draft for those areas mike.