LS1/GM guys

I need some bare LS based parts to pull dimension from. Can be mis-matched LS1/2/6/etc stuff. Just want to borrow the stuff for a few days if possible. I don’t currently have any core LS1’s at the machine shop. This is all just for a CAD art-type thing for the shop.

Need:

Block
Head with maybe a valve and rocker(or full VT in head if it is)
Valve cover
Stock cam
Front timing cover
Crank if one has one
A stock piston and rod would be great too.

Parts can be damaged, this shit doesn’t need to be precise by any means

Just need to get major external and internal dimensions for CAD work. We had one of these apart last week at the shop but it’s now completely assembled :’(

damnit dude, my buddy just tossed out a complete long block.

I have my stock T/A motor on a stand if that helps. Id prefer to leave the bottom end in tact, but its easy to pull the cam and re-assemble as needed.

I have 2 LSx cams, one is LQ4/LS1 and one is from an LM7. Also have a set of ported bare LM7 heads that you could use.

When do you need the parts by? We are going to be pulling my brothers ls1 out soon and his bottom end is toast due to windowing the block. I do how ever have stock heads with every thing in them for you to borrow, a stock cam, and may be able to source a few other parts. If you have time I can get you almost every thing once we get this engine pulled.

check with wyan about cam and heads cause may be geabbing cam today or tom…butttt u can give him my stock cam, but hes guna run the stock headzzzzz

I dont think he needs them for good and Ryans car wont be going any where anytime soon.

anyone ever figure out what happened to his car?

Yea it blew a hole in the block

lmao

kinda like the one i blew in my shorts this morning?

Yeah I remembered you’re motor there. I just didn’t want to have anyone tearing apart a good motor just for this.

I have no time schedule on this, so as long as it takes is fine with me. Absolutely perfect though because I’m only looking to get this into rough CAD so a damaged block/crank is good for me to work with. Stock cam is perfect, and I’d only need to borrow one head because I’ll just mirror the final thing in the software to make the opposite side.

Most of the parts I’d only need for a day like the cam, crank, valve cover, front timing cover if possible. I can have that stuff rendered in just a couple hours or so. Block can head might take me a day or two just due to size.

Awesome, much appreciated. Let me know when you’re ready. If I’ve got nothing going on I can come and lend a hand with pulling it out if needed.

are u doing 3D modeling of these?

yes

I’m doing a few different engines for an “art project”

and your going to accurately model the block and head in a day??? wtf are u superman? not to mention u have to take all the dimensions by hand. do u have some sort of laser scaner?

I’m not pulling all dimensionality(no major bosses, webing etc, bellhousing stuff, etc.) No need for that now. Again, it’s not going to be a 100% accurate model for the motor(AKA I’m not going to be using it to CNC billet blocks for a real car :lol)

Been working with SW since graduating HS and now I spend most of my work day developing CAD parts, so it’s kinda second nature at this point.

No I don’t have a scanner. Wish I did though. The one I want in size that would be appropriate for what I do here would cost far to much for me to justify. I have outsourced some stuff to a couple different companies to test rendering the kit car bodies and related complex structures. Good success so far. The process saves an immense amount of time indeed.

there is a company out there that has complete shell models of a shitttttttttttttttt ton of things. but again they are just shell models. i can get u the name of that company if u want.

i know you can import the models into pro-e because that what i use, but im not sure about SW, but being its a popular program im sure.

Yea he wont be working on the car for at least another couple weeks so it should not be a problem. Let me know when so I can gather up the parts

what program(s) do you use adam?

I have Solidworks version from 2002 on up to 2009, with Cosmos for FEA and Flow for CFD, and Solidcam for the manufacturing end of it to actually cut the parts from stock(set cutter types, toolpaths, feed and cutting speeds, etc). Looking for a demo of SW 2010 right now before I buy it, as I did not like 2008 and spent a bootload on it only to revert back to '06.

I have worked in Pro-E, Catia, and Some Rhino as well but having worked with Solidworks for so long it’s hard for me to get used to other programs. Each program has it’s pros/cons but I’m so fluent in SW that I just stick to it.