PROJECT...ULTIMATE DOOM

As the crate was opened my red 240sx shuddered in fear at the very site of the powerplant that would soon be twisting its frame with reckless abandon… NOOOOO it cried out to me, dont swap that LS1 into me, its blasphemy…its just not right…I cant take it… I pulled the battery from the 240sx and its cries went silent…

So my LS1 arrived yesterday, its all nice and pretty… and I got it shipped from New brunswick for $59.00… can you belive that ? Day and Ross are awesome!!!

I got to drive a Ls1 powered vette on the weekend (thanks rick arbor) and I think its going to be very apparent that traction will be a serious issue, since the vette was sliding around alot, and it really hauled ass…I think the 240sx will weigh in at 2800-2900 or so with the LS1 which is an easy 300-400lbs lighter than a vette, so it might be very hard to control it …he he sounds like fun…

Anyway…all the parts are there that I expected, and the friggen motor seems almost new…
I will document this project since its kinda neat…

Costs known so far…

LS1= 1000
shipping=59
motor assembly=750
cylinder hone=120
stock manifold=150
stock headers=100
mounting kit from usa=1400
t-56 tranny=?
injectors=?
ECU=317
wiring harness=425

Are you using the Hinson kit? Seems like it from the price. But why are you trying to fit the stock header & manifolds? Many people have tried and they don’t even come close to fitting. The Hinson ones are expensive as hell, but considering that they fit perfectly, I think they’re worth it.

yep going the easy route…with hinson kit :slight_smile:

haha oh man you’re like giddy like a school girl i love it

haha im tired of no torque 4cylinders too i want to put a 2JZ in my car haha

There’s a few people that have LS1s in a 240, with cams and minor headwork, they run high 10s :noes:
You’re gonna have some serious fun when you get that up and running.

going bone stock for now…so I stay in a low class in solo 1

:slight_smile:

Well it’ll still be awesome as hell. When do you start handing out numbers to people that want a ride? I definitely want to ride in a 350SX

^^ that would be 570SX :smiley:

Before you hand out those numbers lets see some progress pics, doing a quick search, and reading some previous LS1 swaps, its amazing how much modifications there is to be done for this thing to fit, Ive never heard of this “hinson kit” so lets see some pics Adam to help explain the progress.

The wiring is the part that scares me.

I checked out some dyno’s for turbo LS1’s and its incredible !!

This is going to be nuts.

hinson kit is a drop in kit…using stock vette mounts and a GTO oil pan, all you have to modify is the front cross member…no biggie, no tranny tunnel or firewall work at all…they also are supplying me a custom driveshaft that will work with the t-56, and all the pinion angles are already worked out :slight_smile:

so all I have to get now is a painless wiring kit for the engine…and some other stock ls1 parts…like injectors, alternator ect…

my cooling and fuel system is already large enough for the ls1 so thats easy…

believe me …this is going to happen…and not some 3 year project…I hope to have this car ready for the october mosport solo 1 event…or sooner…

“KAT GOT YOUR TONGUE…WE EAT HONDAS”

Time for an update… KAT GOT YOUR TONGUE…LS1 SWALLOW KAT WHOLE

haha i like that.

Yea, there’s nothing difficult about this swap if you’re willing to shell out the money. You can get the kit, you can send your x-member to be modified, you can get headers MADE for an LS1 in a 240SX, you can get a wiring harness, ECU reprogram, better cooling, better fuel management, etc… All customized for LS1 in a 240SX. And for the same money you will get LESS power out of an SR20 or KA-T.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/partsMain.htm

Hinson just made the SR20 obsolete.

after reading over that web page for the first time, this quote is an understatement !!

I think Adam is just going to be the first (around here) of many to come who end up doing this swap.

Is the gas mileage any good on these V8 :lol:

It’s not bad at all, ppl average 25mpg of granny driving.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/images/sts_ls1_camaro_dyno_1.jpg

here is a comparison between a stock LS1, 5psi, 8 psi turbo

Adam mentioned hes going to be running stock for now so he can stay in a low class in solo 1, so are these the numbers youre estimating for Adam? somehow I was expecting more from a V8

consider the T56 has a 0.5 6th gear ratio…

and you will be getting 30mpg on the highway. at 140km/h :lol:

it should go pretty good…will be quicker than my KAT and more reliable…and will devistate any Sr’s easy…

plus…not much more than what a SR swap will cost…plus local parts…

You were expecting more than 300whp stock, 400whp at 5psi and 500whp at 8psi?? Dude, those numbers are friggin sweet! And you don’t even need to bother going turbo with this motor, it’s a simple matter to make 450whp N/A out of it.

No I was looking more at the stock powerband dont really care about the turbo, it just happened to be on the chart… anyways.
found this as well:

LS1

GM LS1 engine in a Chevrolet Corvette C5The LS1 shares little other than similar displacement and external dimensions with the earlier small-block V8 engines. It is an all-aluminum 346 in³ (5.7 L) pushrod engine and produces between 305 and 350 hp (228 to 261 kW) and 375 ft·lbf (508 N·m) of torque, depending on the application. Beginning in 2001, the LS1 received the higher-flowing intake from the LS6, and a smaller camshaft to keep power at the same level; this also allowed GM to remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. The block is very similar to that of the higher-output LS6; beginning in 2002, some LS1 engines were actually built using the LS6 block instead. The LS1 was on the Ward’s 10 Best Engines list for 1998.

Applications:

1997-2004 C5 Corvette base model
1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, SS
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula and Trans-Am
2004 Pontiac GTO
1999-2005 Holden Commodore as an option
1999-2005 Holden Statesman/Caprice
2001-2005 Holden Monaro

I have to stop, cause the more i search the more I want to sell my SR now … AHhhhh
Good luck Adam keep us posted