Need advice, info or what not

So, this is for the domestic guys, i have come to a point in my life… alright long story short, my ideas are changing and ive thought about this longer than ive had any 240. heres the idea

LS1 into 240
LT1 into 240

Im leaning more toward the LS1 cheaper, and eaiser to find in my budget. i have done alot of research, but there are some things i have to find out, like can i use my skyline R32 Diff with the 6spd ls1, and also wiring diagrams and stuff like that. hank will most likly do any fabbing up i need done.

Hanks an asshole!! but besides that ,ur diff will hold up as long as u dont put a real sticky tire on there and hook hard. other wise u might want to look into a 9". i know i’m a chevy guy but parts r reasonable and plentiful!! with that said either way u go ur more than likely gonna have to have a driveshaft made either way. there nit overly expensive and worth the peace of mind for an aftermarket one anyways.

besides u prob. would want to redo all the suspension in the rear any ways.

i’m not really sure what ur goal is. so it’s hard for me to be exact of sumthings.

meanig drag car or highway warrior etc. not real sure were ur goal is but this guves u a vague idea.

i’m not real sure of the engine bay config. on that car but u can put a v8 in anything.
i stuffed a v8 in a toyota back in the late 80’s early 90’s. when there wasn’t shit engine swap kits , adapters etc.

the hardes parts will be figuring out ur mounting and getting ur angles set correct.
other than that the exhaust really is the next hard part. but with shorties and the vast assortment of manifold and aftermarket stuff and the ability to just fab shit r there and make that much easier now!

hope sum sort of my oncoherent rambling help u !!! :confused

The car is gunna be for cruising and the occasional race on the street, and thats about it, maybe farther down the line ill think of something while its in. but idk I’m gunna buy a 240sx shell, plus the motor swap.

OR

i might buy a bike and continue my plan with my turbo 4cyl.
(jay if you reading this ill buy your bike LOL)

great part about the mock up portion of this swap is that there are “foam plugs” available, with all the motor mount holes tapped etc… makes fitment/ fabrication a hell of a lot easier than pulling the motor out every time. ;D

yeah nothing like a foam block for 600$ though :idiots

^^^ yikes… didn’t know they were that expensive. thats freakin bullshit.

i’m gonna try to find a couple blocks to just cut all the casting out on the inside
to use. just keep enough to bolt the heads and etc on.
i figure i could get the block down to atleast 50lbs. or so thats light enough for me to pick up and put in and take out.

hell yeah harold, thats thinkin!!!

maybe find someone with a junk ls1 block. as long as you can figure out your motor mounts, header routing, and clearance you should be golden. like you said, you just need the bare block w/ all its important holes. :tong

If JoeZ is on here, talk to him. He stuffed an LS1 into a Z3 and has since become a master of the various LS1 swaps possible.

have you also checked out the 5.3 vortec’s or the 6.0’s?? The newer year’s are aluminum but the older ones (under 02 I believe) are Iron blocks…you can pick up one of these motors and transmission’s for around 1200 with wiring harness, fuel rail, TB, etc…and the best part about it is, they are all the same blocks as a LT1, LS1 as far as interchangeable parts go…the 5.3 vortec make 285 hp where as the LS1 makes 320 so its not that big of a difference when it comes to a few grand in price range…as far as LT1’s go (assuming its a 93-97 out of a F-body), they are all iron blocks and make 280hp…they LOVE nitrous tho…but the bottom end are the weak links on them…bone stock motor your pushing it at 550 crank HP…were as the 5.3 vortec has a compression ratio of 9:4:1 and LOVE boost…they can handle outstanding power bone stock (seen them put down almost 700rwhp on various vehicles bone stock and F/I)…it really all depends what you plan on doing to the car…

just get on ebay and check out the 5.3’s. I have been researching them for a few weeks now because thats what I was planning on dropping in my camaro and throwing my turbo setup on that…wont hurt to jump on ls1tech.com either and check out the conversions/hybrid threads…theirs a guy that always post’s on there that has a 5.3 in a 240…also a few rx-7’s etc…

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

ls1’s are far from cheap, you could probably piece an lt1 fairly cheap, if you are on a budget go lt1 if not go ls1. By the way the ls1 makes 350hp not 320

depends on what the motor comes out of lol…C5’s are rated at 345 while the camaro’s and firebirds are rated at 320…GTO is 340.

hey thanks alot guys, its been a long morning, this is all i have been reading about, dosnt help that we lost an hour.

also, i was on ls1tech ooo around 5am, and heres what i found

http://mouseattack.org/240sx.htm

altho i wont be doing the swap into a 93+ im trying to find a 90-93 shell right now (WISH i didnt get rid of the grey one) for 500 or under. im saving up right now, maybe 1300-1800. im hoping for a decent LS1. and also i was hoping to get a C5 motor, altho more expensive, thats what im aiming for.Also ^^up above, theres alot stuff that i just dont have the money for, like a blower. and also im not a fan of that super super low side exhaust. will post later when i get back.

nah, all ls1s are pretty much the same, 01-04 had an ls6 intake. F-bodys dyno more than vettes, i think it was an article in a ford magazine about it. Chevy wouldnt put the same hp rating for both because they thought that people wouldnt buy the vette if they knew that the fbodys had the same engine.

ive been getting alot of pm’s saying go vortec 5.3L, I found a LS6, way to high in price, but i wish i coulss afford it. also i might have found a shell in rochester, leaving right now to check out, if not ill post an ad on craigslist. if anyone knows of a LSX for sale leeme know, i still have to save up but still wondering whats out there

LSx’s are not cheap motors…i’d say go with an LT4 if you can find one :nod

if you buy an lsx i have a performance cam, pushrods, valvesprings and timing chain if you want the extra ponies

Im buying a motor, in june, july somewhere in there , its either gunna be a ls1 or ls6. ill have enough money by then for one, and a bunch of other stuff.

MMM… cams… (simpsons referance) but seriously ill see what i got (and if i got enough) ill give you a pm, trying to get a nice shell, im really thinking 95 and up but them i gotta worry about emmisons shit… so f that.

89-90 wasnt so good,
91-93 hatch or coupe…dosnt matter, im trying to get a coupe if possible. (ive had tpp many hatches)
94 was convertable only
95-96 was new body style
97-98 new front.

so im pretty much looking for a 91-94. HAS to be convertable or have a sunroof, my search is offically on for a shell

Alright, so now that im more LSX trained from LS1tech, i would first ask a couple things

1. Carb or FI (fuel injection)

2.What motor best suited for a swap, can be any LT1, LSX, Carb'd motor. anything, need suggestions ~ V8's

But idk my ideal plan is to have my supercharger on a LS1 with LS6 cams.

I met this guy a couple years ago, he went out to a all nissan meet in vancouver when i went, he also is a friend of my uncle (GT350 w/GT500 motor)
I can listen to the first 35 seconds of this alllllll day long. 

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8D4mMGcOXY&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8D4mMGcOXY&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This is def, a possibilty. i know this has to be at least 10K. just for engine supercharger,wastegate, and couple other things.