Project Phoenix - Formula WS6 Resurrection!

Well, after a long ass almost 7 years, I’m FINALLY going to start wrenching and bring the 'bird back to life. Project name felt fitting, other than she didn’t burn to the ground into a pile of ash before coming back to life.

This is going to be a relatively long-term build; as between school and work my time is limited to work on it. But now that I have it local, I can wrench as I get parts/$$/time and use it as an escape from the daily grind.

The plan is 3 phases.

Phase 1 - LS1 donor F-Body, get the motor/trans/ECU/Wiring Harness/anything else I need to do the swap; strip/sell/scrap the rest. Do the Suspension, Brakes, and Chassis during the LS Swap. This is targeted to be completed within the next 21 months (As this is when I’m done with school and maybe moving again)

Phase 2 - Procharger D1SC or F1 on the LS1 motor, low boost, A2W intercooler setup. (Learn FI as I’ve never dabbled in it before). (Time frame 24-48 months)

Phase 3 - LQ4/9 or LSX motor and more boost (Either Full pressure on a F1, go to a F2, or a pair of 72mm Turbos). (Time frame - ???)

Now, on to the pics!

Fresh out of the storage unit she’s been in since I moved from WNY.

She’s still spotless, zero rust, a few dings and scrapes from the years past, but you can still eat off the underside if you wanted to. Not bad for a 15 year old car.

Prepping/Prepped for Transport, 2000 miles. 2 Rolls of Hawk Blue Painters tape; tape sucked, I’ll get the real 3M stuff if I ever do this again without an enclosed trailer. I’d say 80% survived the trip.

Loaded the trailer and back of the truck up with all the “loose” parts and tools that my dad gave to me.

Thanks again to Luke_L for being one of if not THE best friend a guy could have. Being the 3rd driver on the way out, and driving back to NY with my dad 3 days later. Trip would have been 10x more miserable without him.

We left Rochester NY ~1:30pm on Sat, arrived in SLC at my place ~6:45 pm on Sunday Night.

Unloaded on Monday am, and piled everything into the garage, rolled the car into my 3rd bay (her home for the build). Had to get some obligatory pics of my little guy; :wink:

And this weekend I started the sorting process. Crating up the LT1 motor and all the parts I’m not going to use. It’s a numbers matching car, 1 of only 473; so I figured it can’t hurt to store the numbers matching block/engine in such a way that it could be rebuilt in the future if I ever sell the car.

Got lots to sort through still. Got the motor crated up, just waiting for some desiccant packs to arrive to close up the crate.

And the bird in her bay in the garage; with the shop prepped for the build (Minus a welder which I still need to buy).

I’ll update with progress as I go, but it’ll be slow going due to life.

Looks like a good start :tup:

And wow, that’s more painters tape than I’ve ever used… and I was DRIVING the car, lol.

It was about 3/4 of 2 rolls of 3" tape. We lost about 20% as we drove, lol.

Back at you buddy… :tup:

I’m glad we got this thing back in your hands. Even if it is slow progress at least it is accessible and it is in an area where you can actually work on it.

This is by far my favorite picture…

Well, I finally got a break to where I could spend some time out in the garage wrenching. Damn it felt good to be working on a toy again instead of just playing car repair man!

Disassembling the front end so I can clean, weld, grind, and paint the engine bay before I drop in the LS motor.

Overall wasn’t that bad to get to this point, broke 3 things so far… A tab on the trim piece for the passenger foot well; the cover for the bolt on the Passenger wiper arm (anyone know how to get the damn arms off? the nuts came off, but not the arm! grr); and the one that caused a LOT of swearing… the main dash top panel!

The Engine Harness is out, Dash is out, HVAC is pulled, Column, pedals, hydraulics. The Front Body harness is still in as I have to get the wiper arms off (see above question). And the car front suspension/bumper assy I have to take off (Was waiting to hear from the landlord that they’re going to sign a lease extension through the end of my school, which I got a “yes” to today).

On to the pics!

Dash out, all the wiring underneath is the extra wiring that was in there (alarm, line lock, stereo controls, etc). And the Pass Airbag sitting there.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22325[/ATTACH]

Fuseblock… yea, got some wiring to fix there too. The wonderful crap I did when I was 19.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22324[/ATTACH]

Dash out, HVAC still in… what a mess.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22326[/ATTACH]

HVAC GONE!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22327[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22328[/ATTACH]

Yes, the HVAC will be going back in, but in order to get the best results underhood, it had to be pulled for now.

Next steps, hopefully within the next few weeks:
Figure out how to pull the damn wiper arms off
Pull the rest of the under hood harness
Get her up on jackstands and get the rest of the front end torn apart
Start cleaning and figuring out what holes I’m going to weld up.
Find a MIG welder and learn to weld. LOL! (this will be the toughest part I have a feeling)

The wipers should just pull off. Being that they are the original ones they are probably just a tight fit over the stub. If you can get the Arm Up to 90°, I can’t remember if there is hood clearance, just rock it back and forth a little.

If you can’t get the arm up, try to support the wiper off the windshield (aka piece of wood), push down on the “flex joint” a little, and pull up on the arm end. The problem is the tension of the wiper arm is causing you to fight that lateral movement.

They will possilbly “POP” off with some force so put a towel on the hood in case it gets away from you.

:tup: to progress.

n00bz

Thumbs up to Luke as well from this direction too…

Looks like a cool project, looking forward to following…

We did the exact route, only backwards you took when you did this; and this is all I thought of when we were taping the car up/driving it! LOL!

To get the wipers off you need to remove the small plastic cover at the pivot. There is a nut underneath it. With the nut off, the wiper arm will still be tough to remove, since it has most likely never been off before. You will have to gently pry on it. Don’t bang on it to remove it, you can crack the windshield.

Taking the dash out is a blast, isn’t it?

looking good!

Only 2 parts of the process frustrated the fuck out of me… that LAST screw that holds the HVAC ductwork to the Dash that you have to take out when the dash is 95% out and just hanging there; and the assembly aid clip on the clutch master cylinder bolt/bracket, it was hiding behind the bracket/carpet. The rest was just a matter of playing where is the next screw and taking tons of pictures so I know how it goes back together.

Well, like I said, this is a slow-moving project; between the School, work, and family; I only get time once in a while.

Our trip to Buffalo was delayed 2 days; and I had already taken the day off work; so I spent 12/21 in the garage all day.

Got a lot accomplished; Car up on jack-stands, wheels off, front suspension torn off, and some more of the engine bay ripped apart.

Stock K-Member/Rack; this will not be going back in; BMR Turbo K-Member; and a LS1 rack.

Also found that I had burned the Nitto DRs that were on it down to the steel belts in one spot… never knew tires could rust before (Didn’t get a picture of that).

Did the Vacation thing in Buffalo… Mixed bag of fun/PITA…

Then spent new years day back in the garage again.

Got the entire front end stripped, minus the sway bar brackets, hood release cable, and the rear brake line.

Hood Storage spot… seeing these are almost impossible to find now.

Found this funny guy… on the inside of the front bumper support; has been here since the factory (As the nuts that held the front bumper support had never been touched, evidenced by the factory paint.

And Stripped…

Now she’s paused except for cleaning until I can get a tank of C25 for my welder, and a new Radiator (Griffin 55241-X). Once I get those time to weld/grind the seams, and do the fab work to stand-up the radiator.

So someone from the factory drew a smiley face on the car? That’s kinda cool.

^ Haha. It almost looks like a logo.

It that a WS6 thing?

No clue! Have not found any record of anyone else having/finding anything similar.

I looked at “Sun with sunglasses logo” for a while…no matches. Ram Air, SLP, Be Cool,…etc. Nothing. It definitely looks like it was put there on purpose.

Are you on theformulasource.com? Maybe they would know.

It was there from the Factory; where it was, the bolts to get there, the paint overspray, etc; the Canadian’s put it there! lol

lol that sun face is awesome.

Let me know if you need any advice on anything.