Got my SCCA Club Racing competition license this weekend...

Thanks Jeremy (Fairgentleman Z) for letting me use your car and Hybrid Connection for letting us work on the car in their shop to get it ready.

:tup: congrats

congrats.

wait for the pics, wait for it…

Waiting…

X…:smiley:

I have one pic :slight_smile:

http://www.emkayusa.com/racing/comp.jpg

So I’ve been running round the last few weeks updating the cage for 2007 rules in between (and sometimes during) classes. Thanks for Don letting me wake him up on Sundays to finish cutting and bending the tubes. Mad props to Matt @ Hybrid for the welding, and welding my gaps (some weren’t that bad). I’ll post pics of the cage once it gets a good coat of paint.

Normally the SCCA licensing schools are a weekend and count as one. Once in a blue moon they have a double school and are 3 days. I guess the trip officially started @ 3pm on Thursday as we did the last minute work on the car to hopefully get it past tech. Left Buffalo @ 6ish, got to the track @ 9:30 and dropped of the car. Got back to the track @ 7am, got the car’s annual tech by 8am, and everything went smoothly. Amazing weather all three days, minus a little sunburn. Everytime I have bben there it has either rained or snowed.

We went through about 30 gallons of gas so about 300+ miles of tracktime. Ate up quite a few old tires. Found out that the miss in the engine that I had last year was just a couple loose plug wires. And the only tool I had to touch all weekend was a lug wrench.

As for Mike, well, he raised the bar. Then again he did dial in the camber right for a change. I was able to sit back and think about how the tires should be set-up instead of running around, driving and everything else.

My best time there (in the cold, with a miss, excuses, excuses) … wait, ahahhahahahahahahahh after searching mylaps.com 1:22.339 you didn’t beat me after all :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike: 1:22.8xx

anyways pics:

in the pack:

f—ing miatas

big meat up front, no meat in the rear:

apparently miatas are a popular car…

for the humpers:

more REAL z cars:

and in 2 more laps:

camera right place, right time:

and my favorite pics of the weekend:

No story because I didn’t see or hear it first hand…

Great pics. Those Miatas would eat me alive in the Carousel (big turn that goes on forever) but couldn’t touch me in turn one or the back straight. The NX has more motor, but not nearly the equal in handling. And maybe if we didn’t have to use 10 year old tires in tre back, I could have beat you :slight_smile: But it’s not nice to beat the car owners time :touchy:

Oh yeah, fastest time of the weekend was put in by a 16 year old kid, his name is Billy Morgan, who knows? We may see him on TV some day, great young driver

congrats :tup: :tup:

I was running the other 10 year old tires when I set that time. 225/50 V710s up front and the crappy RE71Ss, not the RE71Rs that you had… The info I found puts a Bridgestone spec class in 1990 with the RE71R as a race tire, the RE71S as a street/track tire (I guess like Azenis are today). I found liquidation sales from 1994. So at the very youngest those tires are 13 to 17 years old ::eek:

If it makes you feel better I ran 1:23.085 @ my second school… on 195/60 Victoracers.

And here is some really crappy vid; I did’t bring my camcorder and someone forgot an adapter for theirs.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/jwashburn78/th_Nelson036.jpg

If you want to see some in car footage of the track from last year…
http://media.putfile.com/nelsonschoolmay20

Keep in mind this was the first time/first session that I ever drove the car (how else wasa I gonna get a jump on everyone else?) so the line is a little sloppy. But it seems like I was taking a different line in 12 to get through 13 fast. Notice that about everytime I stayed in 3rd and did my 3-4 shift at the start/finish line. I dunno how that compares to you driving.

Good job guys :tup:

We need more people getting out to the track and mixing it up. I’m following your lead, but not on 4 wheels. :slight_smile:

Yeah, you were taking a different line. The instructors say forget the first half of 13 and get through 12 as fast as possible. That’s probably why you can use 3rd there and I can’t. I’m not convinced of which way is faster. Also you’re turning in earlier in 1. And you seem to be hugging the inside through the carousel, I was in the middle mostly. Maybe your line is faster through 13, I’ll have to try it next time.

Congrats, what type of club racing are you going to participate in?

congrats! looks like you had fun

I just saw this. Jeremy you are very welcome, thank you for always being you. Good job Mike.